Tough Gear Selection What Setup?

eds

I know this must have been covered but I could not find it in the search.

I have had a rebuilt Ashcroft's box fitted by their Dale.

When he fitted it he said it would be a bit stiff but that would loosen off.

6 months in and now 2nd gear is really difficult to get into with either quite a stiff or knotchy gear change or just perfect and smooth. But when it is knothy it really hits. I don't think it is synchromesh as I can get the gear but I am not sure.

He mentioned that he had adjusted it so it would be really sweet but in fact it is just not right.

Am i taking the heads off the gears when they knock when changing?

Can some kind person point me to what adjustment Dale was refering to so I can try to reset it.

Someone mentioned shimms are needed?

Thanks in advance

Ed

To be honest, the very first thing i would do is talk to Ashcrofts. If you do anything to it, it might invalidate or complicate any warranty and Ashcroft are very well known for doing right by their customers and will probably sort the problem for you if there is anything major to be done.

Simple things would be as Red says to check the clutch operation and shifter bias, but further than that i would talk to Ashcrofts.

A more full story is :-

This is an ashcroft box that is 18 months old.

In first six months the synchromesh in 3rd gave up. It never worked but it took me 6 months to deal with it.

I returned and dale removed and refitted mended box via aschcroft warrenty.

When it was first newly fitted Dale said it would be stiff on selection but loosen up after 500 miles.

It did loosen but second was always a little knotchy.

When Dale gave me back the mended synchromesh time he added that he had adjusted a thing or two and he expected the second gear would be really sweet now but actually he just made it worse and I've been sitting on it for about 6 months again but am now sick of it.

This is why i don't think it is synchro based as that would not allow me to even disengage second.

It feels like a mis alignment but i am not sure.

As for the warrenty I think they will say it has expired.

As for returning to Dale as I am sure he would sort it but he is 2 hours drive away in a direction i never go in.