Blue Smoke from 300 Tdi

Troll Hunter

Please can somebody with far more engine knowledge than me give a pointer to the cause of clouds of blue smoke from my 300 Tdi when I first start it? After running for about ten minutes it disappears - the engine is warm by then - and doesn't reappear all day, unless I park up for a couple of hours, and the engine cols down significantly. This only started last Wednesday morning. Before that there had never been any blue smoke. The oil level appears to be constant, and I've done about 2500 kms since the first blue smoke.

Many thanks for any ideas.

Mike

Sounds like engine oil is getting into one or more of the cylinders when the engine is switched off. Possibly a valve stem seal has lifted or worn, possible valve guide. Maybe also worn rings/bores. Compression test would tell a story. Start the engine from cold and let it run for 30-seconds, then switch off and remove the glow plugs and see if one or more is coated in oil.

Les.

Had the same problem on mine recently, after stripping and rebuilding the head to do the stem seals (it needed a de coke after 160k anyway) as i thought it was one of those leaking, it turned out to be the turbo seal on the exhaust side (after everyone on here told me it would be that :wub: but me being me, i didn't think it would be.