Jump to content

Troll Hunter

Long Term Forum Financial Supporter
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Troll Hunter last won the day on December 22 2018

Troll Hunter had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

70 Excellent

About Troll Hunter

  • Rank
    Old Hand

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Location
    Kaslo, BC, Canada

Recent Profile Visitors

1,788 profile views
  1. Troll Hunter

    300Tdi starter motor replacement brushes

    Bowie69, I agree, provided that would make a good enough and reliable contact, but first I've got to get the old braid off the terminals. How should I do this? Perhaps a small die grinder would do the job. Any other ideas, please? Mike
  2. Troll Hunter

    300Tdi starter motor replacement brushes

    Thanks for the replies so far. Here are some photos: First, a view of the copper strap to one of the old brushes. Here is a clever shot of both sides of the connection. Finally, here is a shot of the replacement STC1246, which I believe to be the correct part. The fixed parts that the copper straps attach to appear to be permanently installed with an epoxy(?) compound, not intended to be replaced. I can't be the first forum member to be replacing 300Tdi starter brushes, so any further thoughts and experience will be much appreciated. Mike
  3. Troll Hunter

    LT230 Rebuild issues

    Alternatively, go to a fishing tackle shop and buy a spring balance. I use a zero to 25kg one for virtually all my pre-load settings. Mike
  4. Troll Hunter

    So what did you get

    Bought myself a dash cam on Black Friday, and two days later my compressor decided to fubar itself, so I then bought a nice 220 volt, 13 amp, 60 gallon tank compressor with a 30% discount!😂👆👆👆 Obviously a long Black Friday! After that I didn't dare expect anything for Christmas, and I wasn't significantly disappointed. Oh yes, I did get a bottle of locally distilled vodka😁😁😁. It's a tough life, but we've just got to put up with it! Mike
  5. Thanks for the explanation and support for photos to be on the forum, not elsewhere, and I fully understand your reasons for putting them on Flickr. Mike
  6. Great photos of what looked to be a fun event, and most of them have nothing to do with Land Rovers, but having been bitten by Photobucket, please can we post thread photos on line, not somewhere that's currently free, but could well change. Sorry to p**s on your parade, but so many older threads, still highly relevant and valuable, are significantly devalued by photos no longer being available. Mike
  7. My starter motor, a Bosch unit, is getting very close to needing new brushes. I have replacements, which I believe are the correct part number, STC1246. However, on examining my starter the existing brushes appear to have the braided copper strap spot welded to the fixed contacts. How should I approach separating the braided copper strap attached to the fixed terminal to allow removal of the old brushes. The new brushes have a clip on the end of the braided copper strap which looks as if it should be crimped onto the fixed terminals. Many thanks for any and all suggestions. Mike
  8. Troll Hunter

    intake manifold thread size

    Agreed. I've also done that. But I believe that the waste gate starts opening at about 9 - 10 psi boost, and is fully open at 15psi. I haven't worked out yet how to delay the opening of the waste gate without raising the final boost pressure. Perhaps a grown up can cover that mod. Mike
  9. Troll Hunter

    Alpine window hole cutting help

    I have the alpine windows out of my 1991 110 CSW and the front of the cut out is 38" measured from the front end of the rain gutter above the corner of the windscreen. Alternatively, the rear of the cut out is 39.5" measured from the rear of the roof. Hope this helps. Mike
  10. Troll Hunter

    Recovery mods

    Hi, western, Any chance of a photo of your rear set up, please? Thx. Mike
  11. Troll Hunter

    intake manifold thread size

    Hi, I did this exact addition myself a few years ago. I bought, I can't remember where from, perhaps ebay, a banjo fitting with a bayonet connection, see photo. I've just measured it and it's a 12x1.5 metric fitting. HTH. Mike
  12. Troll Hunter

    Front axle leak advice

    Yes, definitely a new seal is needed. The track marks left on the surface of the swivel indicate that the seal is badly worn. The swivel should be wiped clean by the seal. Mike
  13. Troll Hunter

    PS line from steering box to reservoir

    Western, Yes! That's it. Congratulations and thank you very much. I must admit that I can't remember where the PS reservoir was located prior to the V8 being replaced, but I should probably have told you that it is now mounted just behind the radiator on the inside edge of the left wing, viewed from the cab. I obviously fell into the trap, of my own making, of the VIN numbers. Probably VIN: JA918809 was the start of LHD Defenders with Tdi engines and they relocated the reservoir, and fitted a shorter hose, from that number, but this photo does nothing to help: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89141/0/steering_box_pipe_to_reservoir___left_hand_drive___defender_from_vin_ja9_la9 Anyway, many thanks again, Western, for sorting it. Mike
  14. Troll Hunter

    90 solid rear side windows and trim

    Of course, you could just flag down a passing Defender CSW and ask if you could take some measurements, or some kind forum member could send you them. Mike
  15. Troll Hunter

    Replacing a 6-bolt steering box with a 4-bolt unit

    It's OK, FF, pedantry isn't illegal, and it's good to know some of the history and thinking behind apparently pointless changes. Mike

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy