gkn overdrive

garry smith 666

Waste of time IMHO as the Discovery already has a high transfer box ratio (1.22:1 rather than 1.4:1 in the Defender) so your ratio is about 20% higher to start with and any extra increase would make the vehicle way overgeared with the standard engines.

Waste of time IMHO as the Discovery already has a high transfer box ratio (1.22:1 rather than 1.4:1 in the Defender) so your ratio is about 20% higher to start with and any extra increase would make the vehicle way overgeared with the standard engines.

Do you reckon? You drive a v8 so i suppose you would know (although what ratio TXB does that have?), but i drove my mums TD5 disco to the south of France and didnt think another gear would have been a bad idea - especially coupled with tuning the engine.

What base vehicle are we talking about plus any tuning??

I have a GKN on my defender, its ok, but its had its problems, if i was going to fork that money out i'd wait until Tim Payne markets his overdrives (when he finally does) as they are electronic like the GKNs. You could get a rocky mountain roverdrive, but they are mechanical and might not suit a disco.

Could always fit a 1.4:1 ratio TXB and OD - think that would work well in the disco!

Well I do know that even a modest tyre size increase renders fifth gear a waste of time with an effective gearing increase of less than 10% so I can only assume that a 20% increase or whatever an overdrive would provide would kill it completely!

Well I do know that even a modest tyre size increase renders fifth gear a waste of time with an effective gearing increase of less than 10% so I can only assume that a 20% increase or whatever an overdrive would provide would kill it completely!

Hi

I have a 200tdi with a upgraded intercooler and tweaked fuel pump,the overdrive was just something i was playing with and did wonder why i have never heard of one fitted to a discovery before and was wondering if it was a worthwhile option because they aint a cheap peice of kit.by the sounds of it they are more hassle than they are worth