Smoking badly!

I drive a '96 model Defender 2.5TDI. Recently started smoking pretty bad, seems like after I've put in a new diesel filter? Maybe it's just coincedence, I don't know. Replaced valve stem seals and put in new injectors, but still smoking white/blue. Funny thing is that on the open road and stopping thereafter there's absolutely no smoke, but when it idles for a while it starts to smoke very bad. Uses about 2pints of oil per 1000km. I don't know what to do anymore, can you please help me? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a '96 model Defender 2.5TDI. Recently started smoking pretty bad, seems like after I've put in a new diesel filter? Maybe it's just coincedence, I don't know. Replaced valve stem seals and put in new injectors, but still smoking white/blue. Funny thing is that on the open road and stopping thereafter there's absolutely no smoke, but when it idles for a while it starts to smoke very bad. Uses about 2pints of oil per 1000km. I don't know what to do anymore, can you please help me? :unsure:

You say

smoking white/blue

Which one? Or is it really both? White is unburnt diesel fuel, blue is burning oil - often different faults. I'm guessing from the comment about using oil (sounds a bit high to me) that I'd think about new piston rings.

p.s. sorry we've taken so long to reply, most unlike this forum!