LT95 to later manual gearbox - much involved?

Eightpot

Appologies if this has been covered before, not had much look searching the archives. in fact I'm sure I asked this myself a few months ago but have forgotten the answer.. :huh:

I'm contemplating swapping out the LT95 on my rangie for a R380 as I could use a fifth gear and would like to drop a sorted gearbox in place before my next trip rather than deal with the daily paranoia fed by oil leaks, funny smells and the occasional stiff gear change.

Just wondering if anyone has done this swap, and if there are any major hurdles - ie do mounts need shifting, tunnel need chopping etc?

I do know that I'll need a V8 gearbox rather than a TDi one.

Appologies if this has been covered before, not had much look searching the archives. in fact I'm sure I asked this myself a few months ago but have forgotten the answer.. :huh:

I'm contemplating swapping out the LT95 on my rangie for a R380 as I could use a fifth gear and would like to drop a sorted gearbox in place before my next trip rather than deal with the daily paranoia fed by oil leaks, funny smells and the occasional stiff gear change.

Just wondering if anyone has done this swap, and if there are any major hurdles - ie do mounts need shifting, tunnel need chopping etc?

I do know that I'll need a V8 gearbox rather than a TDi one.

Hope someone replies to this. I'm contemplpating something similar. Have an LT95 in my classic and I have an overdrive to fit but I'm wondeirng if it would be better to just get a 5 speed.

From the searches I've done it looks like the LT85 is a straight swap, but they tend to be a bit pricey and not come up as often. It looks like an R380 would need a crossmember swap for one with the correct mounts on? I'm sure I also read somewhere once that a R30 would foul the gearbox tunnel - must be a few people out there who have changed the auto box out for a manual who can verify this perleeeze?

For what it is worth I changed an LT95 to an R380 in a 110 and fabricated gearbox/transfer box mounts rather than do the research of what would and wouldn't fit. My R380 was a TDi box and the mountings on there lent themselves to be fairly easily utilised with my fabricated brackets

In the 110 the LT95 tunnel required quite a bit of reworking with the hi-lo/diff lock mech being on the side.