fitting a winch tray to standard rrc bumper

uksniper1

hi hope all is well with you guys,ok i have a question,,im getting a 12k(5.5 tons),winch and a winch tray,(square with a fairlead cut out slot).and i want to use the standard bumper nudge bar,as im not keen on the winch bumpers,ok,,is it just a case of welding the tray onto top of bumper/nudge bar?(as ive seen on defenders),or cutting the top section of the bumper/nudge bar out and sinking the tray in that way?..any help would be great,and pictures of this done even better!..cheers guys..all the best..wayne.

Not sure which tray you are going to be using but the one i had fitted on my RRC sat between the chassis legs behind the bumper..

i have attached a few pics so you can see what i mean. im on the lookout for another as its neatly tucked away and gives a good approach angle compared to a winch bumper.

Photo-005200-1.jpg

Photo-0319.jpg

Photo-0218.jpg

hi,thanks for the replies,and the pictures too,the tray i was looking at i was gonna weld it onto top of the flat suface of the nugde bar,but since then ive come across a tray that fits onto the standard bumper mounts and fits in front of your bumper(keping standard bumper on),i guess it will be one of thoose winches that poke out a bit from the front with that design,(similar to the hilux style protruding trays),any thoughts on thoose too?,,ant what would be the best way to go now,i have the cash in me pocket ready,but dont wanna give meself to much welding and fabrication to to if i can help it...thanks again guys,,all the best,,wayne. ;)

Bin the standard bumper and, as Bowie says, get a nice close fitting winch bumper. Southdown would be my choice, too.

Putting the winch in front of the standard bumper will mean that it will stick out a looooong way. It will also mean that any pull that isn't exactly straight will put excess strain on the mountings and more than likely bend them...

There is another member who has put the winch between the chassis rails and made what is in effect a letterbox in the standard front bumper. I'll try to find it...

If you don't want to do much fabrication then winch trays similar to Bobtailbogey's pictured above are not uncommon on ebay.

If you do mount a winch between the chassis rails then as well as winch width you will also need to check fair lead offset. Some winches like the Superwinch EP9 require the fair lead in the middle, where as others would require an offset fair lead to fit between the chassis rails e.g. Superwinch Husky or Warn 9.5XP

Personally I wouldn't stick a winch in front of a standard bumper, I find my approach angle is just enough as it is and I don't fancy the hassel of a demountable front a winch that needs fitting every time I winch. The last time I used it somebody would have gotten very wet fitting it.

Another point about behind bumper winch mounts, Bobtailbogey's winch sits a bit lower than mine, if the bumper was raised to match the body lift and an hawse fair lead was used then I suspect that it may be able to fit without having to do any cutting of the bumper. Alternatively someone else has posted pics on here of their winch mount, where the winch was mounted a bit higher and the centre section of the bumper unclipped to reveal a hawse fair lead. With the centre section in place you had to look very closely to tell there was a winch fitted.