Transfagarasan Highway

Paul64

Did anyone get to see the Top Gear team driving over the Transfagarasan highway? I did this trip last year in June which was a fantastic drive. I wrote to Top Gear on my return to Ojdula but never heard anything back from them. Not that I am claiming their introduction to the highway as I'm sure many people have written to them in the past.

The road is not exactly a highway other than it is very high! However, the views are spectacular as are the sheer drops often without barriers. The road is closed during the winter and when the weather is bad so if you are ever palnning a trip there, make sure you go in fair weather.

DSC06531600x450.jpg

lots of off road tracks in that pic can these be driven on ?

Hi Joe,

The rules for driving off road in Romania have changed a lot over the last 12 months. It is also depends on what you consider off road. Some tracks are public rights of way, but most are not. Some people have exemptions such as tourism companies, forest workers and rangers. I have exemption in my area but that is a long way from here. Pure off road is frowned upon unless part of a course such as the Transylvania challenge. As for the tracks in my photo, I am not sure that they have public access.

Cheers, Paul

What you see in picture are not off road tracks, those are for stopping/diverting rocks/gravel/snow falling on the road. Here's a higher resolution picture (4.1 MB): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Transfagarasan_twisty_road.jpg

Those are quite common on slopes like those, even the ski slopes.

You can drive them if you dare although they go nowhere :)

There are other tracks further down the road or the other side of the mountain you can safely drive.

The part of the episode with the TG lads on Transfagarasan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFyTx5WBnA

Of course they messed up a lot of info in the episode, mixed some shots, made up some juicy stuff on porpoise etc, but that's en entertainment show, not a documentary.

Before someone asks where's the connection to LR, the scenes shot from front of the cars were taken from a Range Rover :P, see a sort of 'behind the scenes' movie from a local TV station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd1DokzWa2A

• 9 months later...