Annoying little electric issue

So, wired up my aux spotlights. They have been wired so they can only be activated when my high beam is wire is active.

Meaning that, the carling switch will only work when my high beam lights are on. I have used this technique before so you can activated the switch and then just turn your high beams on or off and the aux spots will follow. This means your hands don't have to flick two switch's, just the one on your main stick.

Trouble I am having is, there seams to be some power going into the switch without the high beams on? This power is only apparent when the engine is running, and I have my main headlights on.

Does not do it any other time, it works fine when I have the ignition on but the engine is not running. Anyone think where the power is coming from?

Errr, don't Carling switches light up with the sidelight circuit (if you want)?

So, if you mean "the switch lights up anyway" then try disconecting the red or red / white wire from the back of the switch.

If you mean that you have put a test meter across the back of the switch and the main beam circuit is live when turned off then you probably have one or more bad earths behind the headlights, allowing the dip beam circuit to feed the main beam one.

Yeah they do light up, but that's the side lights, lighting it up (if you wire it up like that)

I meant that the switch is live when the engine is running and the headlights are on. It's on without the high beam on.

So I will go with a bad earth in the head lights as this makes sense.