TD5 will start intermittenly

Hi. My flooded TD5 with a new (used) ECU took me 60 km out of town last Saturday with just one incident of dying on the hi-way but continued on since I was doing about 100 kph. When it was time to go home the engine would fire and after a couple of minutes die down. This happened about 5 times then the engine would just turn but not fire.

When the engine light and the glow plug light come on then the engine will fire. When the lights (engine and glow plug) don't come on the engine will just turn.

I checked the main and fuel pump relay and jingled the wires of the connector that attach to the ECU. Sometimes the lights would turn on most times I don't get anything. Sometimes I think I've solved it by changing the relays or crimping the connector leads but then the same thing. The engine will start then die again. Once I tried to jiggle the ECU box and the lights turned on after that I didn't get any reaction even when I jiggled everything inside the ECU box.

So, sometimes I think I should replace the ECU and sometimes I'm sure its just some corroded part that has a loose connection somewhere.

The following was suggested by the seller of the re-mapped ECU -

"its sounds like a bad earth on the transfer box, we had the same problem with one a few months back, what happens is when the glow plugs trigger it puts a high amperage load on the connections then looses connection through arcing out, the engine light and glow plug light then goes out.

The fuel pump and main relay do not get it's supply from the ecu its from the ignition barrel switch (check spade connectors on ignition switch) also the ignition switch can fail due to water damage (just bridge spade connections to bypass switch to try). One more thing we have found in the past is the spade connections on the relays near the ECU get hot and arc out, and make sure you are using the correct relay."

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,

TOny

After a week and a half of trying to find something loose I've given up. :(

Am now about to order a new ECU for my TD5. Can I purchase a new ECU and pair it with my old 10AS security module?

My central door locks work so I guess that means that the 10AS is receiving the signal from FOB.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update.

My troubles appear to have been fixed and the problem was a faulty connector to the ECU. It seems that the rubber gasket that seals the male and female connectors of the TD5 ECU was misaligned and was not allowing the connector to be fully inserted, hence the intermittent starting.

All fixed now. :rolleyes:

Now I need to replace my speedometer, fuel and clock gauges.

Nope, sorry. My troubles have not been fixed. Today my TD5 started and died and then refused to start again. The engine will turn but will not fire. I opened up ECU compartment and it seemed that jiggling multiple parts around the area would make the engine light light-up and other times no response. I can't get a consistent loose or ok connection. I'm stumped and out of patience. I just placed an order for a new ECU from Singapore. I hope it is the problem. Serves me right for ordering a second hand ECU on eBay.

I used the TD5 the whole day yesterday and it worked fine. This morning it was back to the same problem. I know there's a loose connection somewhere but it eludes me completely. I figure the engine was under water for 10 hours and that killed the original ECU. Replaced with a re-conditioned ECU and now the engine will start intermittently. I'm sure its a loose connection somewhere.

Im unsure after reading your thread if you have added the ECU yourself, but the way I interpret your thread is that you have a second ECU which has been remapped ?

If this is the case can you re-install the original one for a period to try and rule out the newer ECU?

Did you ever have any problems with the vehicle before ?

Is it only since the weather turned cold you have had the problem ?

Are there any other factors (such as changing fuel garage etc) that happened about the same time ?

Hi

I had a similar problem a year or so back. Turned out to be the earth in the ECU compartment (apparently there is a bolt/stud on the bottom of the compartment thet the ECU earths too). Friendly local dealer had had the problem before, apparently all he did was fit a new earthing bolt as the old one was very corroded. No problems since.

HTH

Simon