Steering column removal advice sought.

Peter

Okay, I have a scrap'er that I can practice on 1st, before tackling my vehicle.

Had an over eager mechanic re-align my steering wheel - he did not have a bushwhacker tool But used a big hammer and a metal bar to hit downwards on the steering column. Upshot is the steering column may have been damaged as it sits about 2mm closer to the shroud and catches as I steer. Having read elsewhere this may have damaged the steering as they are designed to collapse in an accident.

Have the Haynes manual, but it is a bit vague about removing the steering column to inspect it. Anyone actually removed one ? And after the bottom UJ is removed and clear, and steering wheel removed and shroud and stripped down to the steering column sheaf - now what ? I can see a distant circlip looking in the column sheaf, and think there is a distant nut from the other end in engine bay - not sure how to get onto it though as appears to be odd shape - BTW the J-reg steering scrap'per bottom linkage to PAS box is different design - will the column components be any different ?

The scrap Discovery is 200 series but what about the 'good' Disco, is it a 300 series?

I can't understand why and what the mechanic needed to smack with the hammer or any other bushwhacker tool in order to align the steering wheel.

The scrap Discovery is 200 series but what about the 'good' Disco, is it a 300 series?

I can't understand why and what the mechanic needed to smack with the hammer or any other bushwhacker tool in order to align the steering wheel.

Yes they are both 200tdi's one a J reg - scrap. The other an early G-reg (sub 500 on engine block) with incredibly low mileage worth saving or using for 5 years at least.

You can sometimes break a metal to metal seal with a large hammer - need I explain further ? There is a tool by bushwhacker that is used to undo a steering wheel on a LR by fixing with 2 bolts, and levering off squarly with a centre 13mm bolt that pushes down on the steering column. Look at 7th photo in this link:

http://shop.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Bushwacka_Tools.html

Used to realign or safely remove a steering wheel.

Now can someone out there answer the original question ?

Realigning the steering wheel by removing it and repositioning it on the splines is NOT the way to do it. That's why I didn't understand why the mechanic had to use the hammer etc.

The proper way is to adjust the drag link length. Search the forum and you'll find how to properly do it (I did at least 2 write ups on this).

There are other things I don't understand but I'll refrain to what you asked for.

This is the steering column you want to remove:

post-1725-126026311611_thumb.jpg

Here is how to remove/refit it:

post-1725-126026314304_thumb.jpg

Thanks CIPX,

Much appreciated. The other info was to do with the procedure in the Haynes manual. So sorry for confusion, assumed everyone has a copy in front of them - which of course they don't. Shall invest in a workshop manual as soon as I can, as looks like Haynes has compacted their manual missing out this vital diagram.

Have also emailed mechanic with your comments.

Cheers

Peter

Just read this thread out of interest......

Thanks CIPX - my steering wheel has been a bit "off" since the ATS boys adjusted my tracking.

I was going to add to my jobs list for the Christmas Break - "Remove Steering Wheel & Realign on Splines"

Now I'm much the wiser.................. :)