OT 3/4" x 10 splined shaft for a project

Night Train

I know this is a bit OT but it will be for an 'off road' vehicle project, albeit a small one using an electric motor and a Lada Niva transfer box.

I want to get a splined shaft that is 3/4" diameter with 10 splines to fit into a female spline on the motor.

Does any one know of anything that is cheap and easily available that would have a spline like this? Pump? Gearbox primary? Half shaft? Machine? Masonary drill bit? Tractor PTO?

I figured that if anyone would know it would probably be someone on here.

Thanks.

NT

What about the shaft that was originally intended to go in there? :huh:

The motor was originally for a golf buggy. I don't have it or know what make or type it should have been. I don't even know if it was ever fitted to one as the motor was given to me.

The motor doesn't have a drive end plate as it fitted directly to a gearbox sharing the gear shaft bearing. The male splines would have been the gearbox input shaft.

I am just looking for something else to fit that is easily available.

I'll post some close up photos and the measurements later on tonight.

Thanks.

My Boys Book of Knowledge (Machinery's Handbook) would say this is an SAE 10 spline, a key spline with a 10B slide/no load fit. They give a major of .749/750" and a minor .644/645" with a key width of .115/117"

What uses this? Can't help there.

Try these people www.ondrives.com

They'll do one offs and have a large range of standard parts, maybe they have key splined shafting

I still can't find a shaft of that size and spline off the shelf. That size tends to be 6 spline only.

So I made one today.

I turned a shaft to give the spline length, the major diameter and the minor diameter.

DSC00350.jpg

I then scribbed the spline tips using the 60 tooth wheel on the lathe as an index.

DSC00353.jpg

I used an angle grinder cutting disc to cut the splines.

DSC00356.jpg

Then fettled with a file to fit.

DSC00357.jpg

Job done.

Thanks, I was surprised that it worked so easily.

I may heat treat it but after I have dealt with the other end of the shaft which is an unknown at the moment. However, it proves that I can make the splines sufficiently well to use.

I have a chain sprocket that I might use that is a larger bore then the shaft I've made so I may make another, bigger, shaft.

The first shaft is just mild steel but I have a high tensile bolt that will make a larger shaft for the sprocket and I will see how that goes.

For what I have in mind (see my other thread in tools and fab) I could do with the extra reduction from the chain drive as opposed to direct drive.

Just thought, this thread could really do with being in Tools and Fabrication now.

An option for the spline cutting is to carefully grind a form tool and with it mounted at the correct hight sideways in the lathe toolpost with the spindle locked cut the splines by winding the lathe saddle back and forth as a shaper. Indexing as per what you already did.

Yes, I tried that first but my lathe is a little too small to be sturdy enough to do that well. Having got one spline to a depth of 0.5mm on some scrap the tool post became loose and needed re setting again. I didn't fancy wearing out whatever moved by continuing.

I did use that method to scribe the lines for the splines though.

• 11 years later...

This is a club car golf cart motor.the splines must be only their brand specific.there are companies that make the female sleeve.but the only way to get what you need is by purchasing an input shaft for a club car president. If you want to trade that motor for something you could use easier, im shure i have something to work for you.

received_139947521394680.jpeg

Edited by Mwood37064
Photo