Defender rebuild in Qatar - Need advice!

Mmyke

Hi: I am starting my full rebuild of a 4 cylinder 1985 110 in Qatar.

Plans are to drive the completed vehicle to London, via Moscow, in a couple of years.

I am a Canadian, who did not grow up with 110s, and advice in Qatar is very difficult to come by, and when it does its "sandy".

I have a rebuilt 4.6 from Turners (its presently sitting in my 1998 RR), a R380 and hi-ratio transfer case from Ashcrofts. But I do need some advice on the following:

1) what differentials can I swap in? Do Discovery differentials fit in easily?

2) I want to get rid of the GEMS system,,,what do you folks think is the best alternative?

3) What can I replace the front seats with? do Discovery ones fit??

I have many more questions to ask, but these will do for now....I will keep a running log I think with a pictorial history.

Any other advice is most welcome for additions/corrections to the original vehicle etc. etc.....this is the time to plan for changes.

Thanks very much

Mike

your axles will be 10 spline at the Diff end, the Discovery units are 24 IIRC, it's not advisable to use a Discovery or RR rear axle on a 110, the existing Salisbury unit is a lot stronger & will easily carry the 110's maxi,um gross weight.

Discovery front seats will fit but you'll lose acces to the battery & stowage areas under the front seats.

First, I would like ot thank everyone for their tips so far, but I feel that I need to put you to the test further. :)

As I stated before, I am stuck in the middle of a desert and I am determined to drive away from here with anexcellent machine.

Ok, my 110 willnever me rock-climbing, or getting its paint scratched. I have a Chevy at home in Nova Scotia that is purpose built for that. This will be used on the farm for easy stuff, but primarily highway.

I will list the areas below for your advice:

1) Suspension - I am planning to use standard height, heavy duty springs and shocks.

All tie rod ends, ball joints will be relaced

Where to find the best ones??

What companies make the best products?

2) Engine - I am converting a GEMS 4.6 litre (new Turner top hat with 400k on it) to non-GEMS.

What particular Megasquirt ECU do I but? I see 3 models,,,what is the best for me?

What do I purchase with the Megasquirt to make it work?

Do I match this with a Hotwire system? what year and from what vehicle?

Exhaust - What is the best exhaust system for this application? I have read about different manifolds and different bores, but I need to be able to order a specific system froma specific vendor