alarm problems

bacdisco

Hello everyone.

My 97 Discovery's alarm has started to arm its self and sets the siren off when I put my headlights on whilst driving. I've also noticed that when I engage the headlights, the alarm indicator light in the dash illuminates red- as soon as I turn the headlights off, the light goes out. Also when I switch on the heater, wipers, indicators etc separately, I noticed that the alarm light flickers briefly- if I turn them all on at the same time, the alarm indicator light goes from flickering to almost full illumination.

Since this started to happen my battery has started to go flat. I can jump start it ok and if I turn the engine off, the car will start again. However, when I try to start it the next day, the battery does not have enough charge in it to start the car up and I have to jump start it again.

If anyone out there has an explanation for this, I would would be very, very grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Random events like this are often caused by dodgy earth connections, I would start with those.

Thanks for the immediate reply, Bogmonster- much appreciated.

I took the battery off and charged it up over night. When I reconnected it, the problems vanished. However, after diving it around for about twenty minutes, the problem reappeared. I thought that perhaps the battery wasn't holding charge or that the alternator wasn't charging the battery thus causing a voltage drop, which may have been triggering the alarm so I had them both checked. However, the battery and alternator turned out to be fine and working as they should.

I will see if I can trace any dodgy earth connections that may be causing the problems. If you have any other ideas on what could be causing this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

I will see if I can trace any dodgy connections.

Mystery flat batteries can be caused by the heater plug timer sticking ON - it sucks about 100 amps out of the battery and have seen a few where the owner goes back to the vehicle an hour after it has been running and everything is stone dead. tends to be intermittent