Fitting ARB locker - RH drive shaft too long ?

maigaard

Hi,

I am fitting an ARB (RD127) to a 1986 RRC V8 EFI and have run into trouble. I've built the diff and fitted the diff to the axle. But when fitting the drive shafts, the RH shaft (the short one) is slightly too long (or the splined area of the shaft is too short). I've got the solid drive shafts (no separate drive flange), part # 571882. I also happen to have a similar drive shaft from a 1990 RRC (part # FTC870) in the workshop, which a bit shorter and the splined area is longer. That may fit, but has a bulge on the axle, so it cant be slid into the axle housing. Is it so that the 10 spline ARB is only made to fit FTC870 drive shafts, and not 571882 ? Any tips how to proceed ?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

thanks for the tip on imp/metric. I bought the ARB RD127 and metric bearings for it. Didnt purchase shafts, I am trying to use the original shafts from the 1986 RRC. The funny thing is that the LH side is OK. Fixed the RH side for now by extending the splined section about half a cm with an angle grinder. There's so much snow here now, I just needed to get it running and go play :-)

When the snow is gone I might try to transplant all the outer axle parts (hub, stub axle etc) over from the 1990 RRC axle I have also, which has the slightly shorter shafts with separate drive flange.

/Peter