disaster!?!

calvin

I was out driving this evening in the snow. I stopped to help someone get moving got back in the disco and the damn thing wouldnt move, it would move a bit in reverse but forward gears were not so good. The front wheels were spinning on the snow. I ended up putting it in low ratio and dragging the car off the road. I thought initially that it might be the rear diff, but it has been suggested that it might be the handbrake has stuck on. (I really hope it is just this) Any ideas, or has anyone had a similar experience??

Cheers in anticipation.

(I also didnt feel so smug anymore when I was walking the 3 miles home )

As it was a bit of a crisis situation, ie stuck on the road, I cannot be sure when I had tried diff lock and when I didnt. I do know that I had it in low box and some pedestrians told be the front wheels were spinning but the back ones were not. I opened the door to look and when I got a bit of grip the back wheels were only turning really slowly so were dragging, but were turning a bit.

FIngers crossed it is the handbrake.

cheers