p38 rear suspension rattle

marsie

My 98 range rover has developed a light knocking noise on the rear suspension? at low speed there is an audible rattle from the rear,and if i lay under the car and bump the car up and down i can hear the knock(appears to be both sides?) but cannot see anything loose? could it be an internal knock on the rear shockers?? is this common?

Dont think its owt serious but it drives me bonkers :blink:

Thanks

Paul

Look at the rear radius arms, at the point they fasten to the bodyshell. The machined alloy that holds the bushes is riveted to the arm. Is the riveted joint loose?

If not, and if you still can't find the rattle by lifting the complete car, you need to equip yourself with a lever and pry each joint individually, to see which bit moves 'easily'.

Don't forget to lift the wheels off the deck and rock them. Sometimes they respond to simply tightening the hub nut back to specification, sometimes it's a new bearing.

HTH

Went around all the bushes and linkages today and found no wear.Disconected the bottom of both shockers and rocked the car and the knocking had gone.So i worked both rear shocks through their full stroke to see if there was any notches but didnt find owt wrong :huh: .But when i re fitted the bottom of the shocks the rattle has gone :D

Is it possible that because the car has been stood,the shocks have drained and just needed pumping to get the oil circulating???

I think i will still replace them anyway

Paul ;)