e-bay - Oh dear!

Steve King

Just sold my old 35m camera and accessories on e-bay for a reasonable sum.

I was rather disppointed to receive the following message in reply to me e-mail regarding postage rates to Austria.

Hi

and thank you for details

one day delivery is ok

I need your IBAN an BIC codes for a EU money transfer

best regards from vienna <_<<_<

Hmmm, perhaps I am being over cautious as this guy has a feedback score of 45 and has an address in Vienna, however this has set alarm bells ringing.... :(

Just sold my old 35m camera and accessories on e-bay for a reasonable sum.

I was rather disppointed to receive the following message in reply to me e-mail regarding postage rates to Austria.

Hi

and thank you for details

one day delivery is ok

I need your IBAN an BIC codes for a EU money transfer

best regards from vienna <_<<_<

Hmmm, perhaps I am being over cautious as this guy has a feedback score of 45 and has an address in Vienna, however this has set alarm bells ringing.... :(

Be very careful - feedback is no guarantee of anything - I once was scammed by somebody who had highjacked a reputable sellers acount..............

May be genuine but like you I smell a siberian hamster.....

Mmm, I can not really see a problem :blink:

Have used the Iban numbers as a last resort for payment in the past, did one this week, for a buyer on the south of France, no problems,

I would ask if he has a Paypal account first, If using Iban, make sure his bank sends the full amount in sterling to you, Just sold a Freelander rain cover to Italy, for £110 inc post, his bank only sent £ 100, so he is trying to see where the lost £10 has gone, My bank say, that's the full amount sent ???? this is the only problem I have had, maybe lucky !! :huh:

Just sold a Freelander rain cover to Italy, for £110 inc post, his bank only sent £ 100, so he is trying to see where the lost £10 has gone, My bank say, that's the full amount sent ???? this is the only problem I have had, maybe lucky !! :huh:

I too use Swift codes for transfers quite a lot. The reason you only got £100 may be down to the charges. In the UK,you have to tick one of three boxes depending on whether I am going to pay the bank charges, yo are going to pay or we are going to share them.

It is quite possible they just ticked the wrong box.

On the ebay front, did you specify Paypal etc in the auction? If so, you can just turn round and say Paypal (and whatever else you specified only). In general, I don't think money transfers are a big risk - just very expensive and very slow!

Si

I specified payment by PayPal or cheque (subject to clearance) or cash if you collect personally.

Anyway after a few messages flying back and forth, our man in Vienna is sending me some international bankers draft thingy, so all should be OK.