Handbrake stuck on, need help

jamesvfr

Hi all

Was off road a week or so ago, going down a hill + a log came up + snapped both front left brake lines, i used gears as much as poss but had to use handbrake to slow me down + use hand brake to get me out of the site for recovery

No problems there, got it home + handbrake still fine when moved it + parked, couple days later went to move it + handbrake stuck on solid, push the lever down + it gently springs back up itself, had put it in low box to get it on front garden off the road so i could start sorting the damages

Any ideas how to realease or what the problem may be?

I though maybe the shoes were warm from using it to slow me off the site etc + with hand brake on the shoes had stuck to the drum, sat there for a while beating the drum with a hammer + no joy

Cant slacked the shoes to remove the drum as the adjuster is siezed solid

Need some help

Cheers

James

see if u can spray sum lube down the cable or inside the drum to see it if will lossen things up!!

hit it with a hammer a few more times!! or the last thing u could do is get a big puller and

that will force the drum off!! hope that helps mate!!

dave :D

Hi

If you need to, take off the prop.

Slacken of the h/brake cable, then check if drum will turn.

Give it a few taps with a dead blow hammer, if that doesn't work use a normal hammer.

If that doesn't work drive move it back and forward it might spring loose.

Hope this helps.

Sounds more like the shoes have stuck to the drum in the week it has been standing, caused by the mud n carp picked up while off-roading.

Depending on model, if the early type with cable acting on a rod entering the back plate at 90 degrees, I would release the HB lever and try gently knocking the actuator rod into the back plate. I would expect the expander unit has jammed, often a little persuasion will get it to release.

Failing that, try slackening the adjuster nut enough to allow remaoval of the drum. Then give everything a thorough clean, including the expander units. Re-assemble and adjust .