300TDI Brake Upgrade

si789

Hi all I've just bought my first 300 tdi auto disco 98 plate which is running 33s, currently I find it's brakes aren't great and was wondering what can be done to improve them other than change the pads and disks. Are the V8 calipers bigger and will they fit onto the 300tdi running 15" wheels?

As bobtail above standard brakes are ok, also I have just replaced my front pads with EBC's standard Ultimax pads and what a difference they do grab a lot better then the LR genuine parts pads they replaced at 37,000miles, will they last as long I don't know but still highly recommeded.

Hi all I've just bought my first 300 tdi auto disco 98 plate which is running 33s, currently I find it's brakes aren't great and was wondering what can be done to improve them other than change the pads and disks. Are the V8 calipers bigger and will they fit onto the 300tdi running 15" wheels?

I have had both a 300 tdi Disco and a V8 , both 1998 ES models and the V8 had vented discs and the Tdi did not , I have done a very succesfull upgrade on my Tdi by changing the single disc to a vented discs and put calipers from a 110 on it as they take larger pads . Just make sure you get the correct calipers ie in my case and I suspect you as well they will be single brake hose .The part numbers I used were LEFT CALIPER STC 1267, RIGHT CALIPER STC 1266 NEW CALIPER BOLTS FTC3375 FITTING KIT STC 8575 and MINTEX PADS BM no. BR3653M , Rov no . SFP000260M Regards Jonathan

I have had both a 300 tdi Disco and a V8 , both 1998 ES models and the V8 had vented discs and the Tdi did not , I have done a very succesfull upgrade on my Tdi by changing the single disc to a vented discs and put calipers from a 110 on it as they take larger pads . Just make sure you get the correct calipers ie in my case and I suspect you as well they will be single brake hose .The part numbers I used were LEFT CALIPER STC 1267, RIGHT CALIPER STC 1266 NEW CALIPER BOLTS FTC3375 FITTING KIT STC 8575 and MINTEX PADS BM no. BR3653M , Rov no . SFP000260M Regards Jonathan

Just double checked my notes and the vented disc number is FTC902 . Regards Jonathan

• 7 months later...

I am looking at doing this myself so thanks for your post on this, one question though, how did you go with the ABS sensors, as the Defender ones have different part numbers to the Discovery ones, so I assume they are different.

I did not have to touch the sensors at all . If I remember correctly I only had to transfer the exciter ring from the old disc to the new one, and I think it was for the rear pair only. Regards Jonathan

Thanks for getting back jonp, but I need to clarify as I am not quite with you, as I understand the exciter ring is a serrated edge that the ABS Sensor needs to pick up the rotation of the wheel, on the front, this is on the CV joint (97 Discovery) and is nothing to do with the disc.

What I need to know is how you went transferring the ABS sensor from the Discovery caliper to the defender caliper as on the two vehicles they are listed as separate part numbers so I can assume there is some sort of difference in the sensor (or are they interchangeable)

Thanks for any help on this, this is the only forum that has given a proper answer to this issue so I am very grateful.

Yes you are correct with the front exciter ring but on the rear the exciter ring is bolted via very small studs to the rear disc. You do not touch the sensors as they fit in what is left of the hub after you remove the disc.( front and rear ). The sensor has nothing to do with the caliper. For the front just unbolt the two bots holding the caliper on and after unbolting the disc and replacing the disc with a vented one you just bolt on the bigger 110 caliper on disc . I also checked/replaced and repacked the bearings as I went on and used new bolts as the old were corroded.Sorry I forgot to say I actually changed both front and rear discs at the same time as the rear were past it , hence some confusion .quote I did not have to touch the sensors at all . If I remember correctly I only had to transfer the exciter ring from the old disc to the new one, and I think it was for the rear pair only. You probably are only doing the front so no need to worry about it I should have not mentioned the rear at all . Regards Jonathan

Yes you are correct with the front exciter ring but on the rear the exciter ring is bolted via very small studs to the rear disc. You do not touch the sensors as they fit in what is left of the hub after you remove the disc.( front and rear ). The sensor has nothing to do with the caliper. For the front just unbolt the two bots holding the caliper on and after unbolting the disc and replacing the disc with a vented one you just bolt on the bigger 110 caliper on disc . I also checked/replaced and repacked the bearings as I went on and used new bolts as the old were corroded.Sorry I forgot to say I actually changed both front and rear discs at the same time as the rear were past it , hence some confusion .quote I did not have to touch the sensors at all . If I remember correctly I only had to transfer the exciter ring from the old disc to the new one, and I think it was for the rear pair only. You probably are only doing the front so no need to worry about it I should have not mentioned the rear at all . Regards Jonathan

Of course, having a thick moment there, the sensor is in the hub not the caliper, I am over thinking the whole thing, soon I am going to strip down the entire hub assemblys as I have rusty swivels, a clicking CV joint and I will upgrade to vented discs at the same time, so I am trying to work out the whole thing before I start so I don't run into too much trouble.

Thanks, your post has been veru helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the same... (fitted vented discs + 110 "wide boy" calipers to a 300TDi). Definate improvement, and well worth the effort.

The brake pedal will travel further (more fluid to move) - so make sure your master cylinder is in rude health.