TD to TDI

I am about to get a TD 110 and would like to know how hard it would be to fit 200 tdi

I have a RRC with a 200tdi and lt77 box from a disco

Will it fit the TD gearbox

what clutch will i need

will i have to change engine mounts

and anything else i may need to do

thanks in advance

cheers

Jim

the gearbox is different, the engine will fit straight to ure original box, on the standard mounts, ul have to alter the exhaust and drop the rad mounts to fit the rad/intercooler in, all wiring is pretty much the same, change the fuel filter assembly, there are loads of guides on here already have a nose ul find exactly what you need

Have a look in the tech archive. All you need to know is there.

The disco box levers are not in the same place as the defender box so will sit in the front of the middle seat/cubby. It can be made to fit, but isnt stockand requires some cutting.

There are lots of guides on the net that cover the conversion. But to be honest none of them are complete as there are differences from each conversion. This is assuming you are doing a 200 disco engine conversion

I just did it and found a few things different to the guides.

The engine drops straight in. using the TD engine mounts bolted to the 200 block, one side is straightforward the other you have a choice of two positions (check the guide I cant remember which). Use new ones for the sake of £3 each

The clutches are the same, but I would recommend getting a new clutch (AP Driveline, borg and beck replacement)

The engine flywheel housing will fit the TD bellhousing, however you will need to tap a few holes for some additional studs to make a good job out of it. Or swap the flywheel housings, but that is alot more effort unless you plan to change the crank seal

You need to use the TD oil cooler pipes, but depending on the 200 unit, you may need to swap the oil filter housing to use the pipes as some connections are different. You may also have to swap the connections on the radiator.

Fuel pipes are a odd one, and I am still having issues with them. Find the simplest solution (possibly the TD filter) and stick with it.

For the power steering, the disco high pressure line fits fine, although it will sit away from the chassis crossmember, so you will need to find a secure way of holding it. I welded on a section of box. The low pressure line I used a combination of TD and 200 parts.

The best way to do the intercooler pipes is to buy a kit, and the intake piping you can make a good job using 200 and TD parts with a joiner piece and the existing air cleaner, but you will need to cut a leg off the air filter assembly to make room for the intercooler pipe. It is tight but a better solution than some I have seen.

Don't bother making your own exhaust manifold, it is far easier to buy a kit, the one on ebay is not fantastic but it does the job, you need to hack up the old exhaust a bit, but it's no drama. The more expensive steve parker one would be better by the looks of it.

The radiator mounts need cutting down slightly then you can fit the 200 rad/intercooler combo straight in and bolt onto the existing top mounts. it will lean slightly. The coolant pipes a good solution can be made through joining 200 and TD parts very nicely with a few metal joiners.

Wiring, I kept the 200 wiring loom as it was much better than the TD loom, with a better charging line for the alternator etc. I then soldered the wires onto the exisiting loom. It is all straight forward and the haynes wiring diagrams are all correct. Otherwise just use the TD wires and just plug them in, they all reach and fit no problems. There is alot of random talk about coolant sensors, however if you put the TD sensor into the 200 block it works fine, mine sits just under vertical on the gauge at running temperature.

Good luck with it :)