Heated front windscreen, doors and central locking

Hi guys, just bought ny first Defender 110, 1998 Special vehicles, ex-Navy and set up for artcic condition, ideal for the current weather. I've been running a Series III but this is so much more user friendly for the family.

I have a few questions, hope you can help:-

1) the central locking is by key, the alarm on a fob. Can they be linked so I can unlock & disarm at the same time?

2) the previous owner has had a heated FWS fitted but not wired in. He's supplied the timer relay and other relay and I have read the notes on this forum. Question, will the wiring loom already be set up for the windscreen or will I have to wire from scratch?

3) the doors are bad at the bottom, not exactly a surprise. I see the guys at Froome offer an excellent service but it's a long way away (I'm near Derby) and the car is parked on the drive so too risky to take them off and TNT them. Question, is there anyone more local to me offering a similar service?

More question to follow and I'm probably asking the same old questions but ant help would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Bob Radford

Bob

Regarding your alarm question, I do recall seeing a story in LRM from around the middle of last year in which Lindsay Porter fitted a Maplin central locking kit to a Defender and then concluded that the key fob could be used to activate both the central locking and the alarm. It stuck in my mind because I've been thinking of adding central locking to my 110 so it should certainly be possible.

Hope this helps

Cheeky

yes thats correct, i too read that article and is on my to-do list, well, has been for about a year :rolleyes:

ive been told that the central locking module and alarm module need to be wired together so the central locking takes its switched feed from the alarm module rather than its own via manually turning the key...if i remember correctly :huh:

this was explained after i asked the exact same question to an car alarm/security guy

any professional car security firm should be able to sort it for you

Thanks Cheeky, thanks Bigbeast, what wonderful names, I shall have to get one. It does seem strange that central locking and alarm are fitted but not linked. My dad has a Rover 400, the fob is exactly the same and disarms the alarm and opens the door and vica versa.

I will have a dig round, see what I can find

Thanks again

Bob R

The attached file shows the wiring diagram for the Maplin central locking kit. In this circuit, the switch in a master unit (actuator motor & switch) pulls either the brown or white wire to ground (black) to operate the other units. The alarm system would need to have two outputs which can pull the brown or white wires to ground on receipt of a lock/unlock command (can't remember which way round). You may need to arrange relays to interface the alarm and achieve this, but the wiring won't be difficult.

Other systems are of generally similar operation. I had a SPAL system on my old Td5 110CSW which was wired the same as the Maplin system. That linked directly to the factory alarm so that the remote armed/disarmed the alarm and operated the door locks. If it is an aftermarket alarm then you may find some wiring information on the internet. The factory alarm may require poking around in the RAVE manuals and monitoring circuits with a meter, or a visit a tame auto electrician.

Maplin Central Locking YD77.pdf