200TDito a 300TDi

matt bristol

Despite a good dose of looking at and swearing about, my 300 tdi is really smokey, noisy and leaky these days. I've been offered a 200TDi engine fairly cheap and wondered how much difference there is between a 200 and 300 TDi, eg is it a relatively simple straight swap or will bell housings, engine mounts etc need changing?

sorry to once again be asking what to most probably seem like inane questions, and thanks for all the help and advice chaps

matt

In a Discovery and assuming that both engine are from a Discovery there is no difference in the bell housing bolt pattern.

IIRC only the engine mounts will need moving.

However, unless you can hear the 200 running then I'd be tempted to put the same money into repairing the 300.

the 'plan' is to use the 200tdi until such time as I have rebuilt the 300 and then drop it back in - like I say thats the plan , so it probably won't happen anywhere near how I am expecting.

i also have a few other minor repairs to carry out like new clutch, welding, bend bumper straight so the head lights point forwards,brake caliper sticking, no front prop, passenger side window, passenger side door lock and worst of all the Stereo doesn't work!!!!

I think the engine mounts are different so would be a lot of workto swap it and thenb change back at a later date you would be better off trying to find a replacement 300Tdi or rebuild your origional engine wich if you dont need a crank regring would be quicker than messing about changing engine mounts!

Sam

I have done this swap too and the bell housing is fine as is everything else the only thing different are the engine mounts but you don't have to remove the old ones. just mark the 200 ones in exactly the same position as on the old car and weld away. The chassis are the same but the 300 engine mounts are closer to the bulk head. I don't regret this one bit mine runs sweet.

Hi

We put a 200 engine into a 300 a couple of years ago & had to cut the engine mounts of the 200 chassis & weld them onto the 300, every thing else was more or less straight swap apart from intercooler & front pipe but you could swap manifolds & turbo to fit 300 front pipe, not an ideal tempory job though

John