Starter problems

stewy1984

Hi guys, hoping someone can help.

tried to start the car today (200tdi disco) and it wouldnt go, the starter was making a loud strange constant clicking noise, tapping it had no effect. It bumps and drives fine.

Picked a new starter upto today, just fitted it, and the same strange clicking noise with this one aswell. Bench tested the old starter and it seems to be working normally, like it should.

got full chanrge on battery and alt charging fine, so should have plenty power.

but its got me stumped

Hi there, i`m no mechanic but have you tried bridging it at the starter motor, I am not familiar with 200TDI wiring but hows your earth cable, live cable and starter relay cause it sounds like you not getting enough power at the starters end.Good luck.

Cheers. Have only checked the voltage, have no other way to check them? its the constand noise, stays for as long as the keys held, not just 1 click that has me worried. never heard it before. hoping its a connection or battery and not the ring gear

Cheers. Have only checked the voltage, have no other way to check them? its the constand noise, stays for as long as the keys held, not just 1 click that has me worried. never heard it before. hoping its a connection or battery and not the ring gear

Its the solenoid clicking in and out (in on the key, out as the starter motor drops the voltage, then back in after the solenoid drops away, repeat). If it isn't the battery knackered, then it must be either the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid or the earth strap(s) from engine to battery not conducting properly (e.g. broken, corroded, frayed, loose). My bet is the earth strap side, as it comes up over and over again. Can you start it by jump leads to your battery? How about +ve jump lead on your battery, -ve lead attached to your engine?

As above - that is what is happening.

Put your voltmeter on the battery and try and crank the engine - are you left with 10-11v at the battery with the key over, or much less like maybe 6 volts?

Any half decent garage should have a discharge tester which puts a hundred-plus amp load on the battery so you can monitor the voltage decay, if it doesn't hold a reasonable voltage under load then it is fkd.

What voltage is it showing when you are saying it is good? Should be 12.6-12.8v after being charged and left overnight, if it's less than about 12.5 then it is past its best and if it is down around 12 then it is most likely the battery u/s.

well after days of trying wires here and there, it turned out to be a dodgy connection from the battery to the isolator, put jump leads on the other side of the isolator to the battery and it started, DOH! feel abit stupid not trying that afew days ago lol.

cheers for all the advice though