300tdi Clutch Freeplay

The clutch on my 90 has developed a weird problem.

It was all new around 15,000 miles ago, the arm was reinforced but wasn't brand new. It used to have minimal free play and released on very little travel of the pedal. But recently the pedal seems to have around 2 inch of freeplay (feels like it isn't connected) then I come up against some resistance and the clutch releases (pedal halfway to the b/h)

I have checked fluid levels and adjustment, all seems fine.

Is this an adjustment issue? or should I be opening the thing up and fitting new bits?

had similar problem with mine, turned out to be one of the mounting bolts had dropped out of the slave cylinder, and it was moving around. new bolt with some loctite on it cured the problem.

it could of course be one of the cylinders leaking internally. has it lost any fluid?

Great start to this little epsiode,

Bearing hasn't arrived due to this wonderful weather and my local parts supplier don't know the difference between a normal Tdi Defender clutch and a 130 variant.

:(

300Tdi clutch friction plate has 6 springs, the 130 heavy duty version has 8 springs, the release bearing & pressure cover are common to all Tdi engines, & the 130 HD friction plate can be fitted to all Tdi engines too.

have a look in tech archive index for defender clutch change, there is a photo of both friction plates side by side.

well well well, friction and pressure units were both excellent, slave was fine, but my reinforced arm had one of the pins that retain the release bearing come loose and was flapping! Lucky I had a new arm which was beefed up on both pins, and both swivel points, fitted with a new slave I had on the shelf and all is well again.

Nothing beats changing a clutch outside during the coldest period of the year in near blizzard conditions :rolleyes: