TD5 Rear Crossmember

I need to replace the crossmember on my 2000 Td5 90.

I have found loads of info about fitting one to an older 90 (pre td5)but cant find any info on doing the td5 one.

I was a coded welder so I have no problems with that part but any advice before I start would be good.

What type should I get, with or without the extension rails.

Does the fuel tank need to come off.

Can it be fitted with the rear tub still fitted (in the same way you would with a 300tdi)

Who makes/sell the best Td5 Crossmember.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I have a 2002MY 110, and ordered a standard crossmember with extensions after checking with supplier.

It did not fit so a genuine LR one without extensions had to be fitted. Tank out, and lots of cursing (im told).

The differences seem to bein the forward face of the centre section. Original has a flat face, standard one with extensions had cutouts and this meant the fuel tank could not be mounted..

Not sure if this is common to all TD5's or just 2002MY onwards.

Hi Matt,

I have a 2002MY 110, and ordered a standard crossmember with extensions after checking with supplier.

It did not fit so a genuine LR one without extensions had to be fitted. Tank out, and lots of cursing (im told).

The differences seem to bein the forward face of the centre section. Original has a flat face, standard one with extensions had cutouts and this meant the fuel tank could not be mounted..

Not sure if this is common to all TD5's or just 2002MY onwards.

Thanks Nic,

I have been out looking under the crossmember today and was thinking the tank would have to come out. Looks like an all day job then!

Thanks Nic,

I have been out looking under the crossmember today and was thinking the tank would have to come out. Looks like an all day job then!

Hi Matt i fitted the new rear crossmember for nick , if the bolts that hold the fuel tank gaurd/fixing plate at the rear have to be accessed trough the rear of the crossmember you will need to buy a genuine rear crossmember this can not be purchased with extensions you will also need a second part which is a bit like piece of angle which bolts to the new crossmember and then bolts through the rear body tub forming the body mountings . This can be replaced with the body tub in place but i would allow two days to do the job comfortably especially if you have not done one before. I plasma cut the old one off but this still left plenty of grinding the old welds and plate off to save the rear of the chasis to weld the new one too. The bolts that hold the tank gaurd/ fixing plate through the crossmember sheared off due to corrosion aswell so had to cut these off and weld new nuts in place

RICHARD

Hi Matt i fitted the new rear crossmember for nick , if the bolts that hold the fuel tank gaurd/fixing plate at the rear have to be accessed trough the rear of the crossmember you will need to buy a genuine rear crossmember this can not be purchased with extensions you will also need a second part which is a bit like piece of angle which bolts to the new crossmember and then bolts through the rear body tub forming the body mountings . This can be replaced with the body tub in place but i would allow two days to do the job comfortably especially if you have not done one before. I plasma cut the old one off but this still left plenty of grinding the old welds and plate off to save the rear of the chasis to weld the new one too. The bolts that hold the tank gaurd/ fixing plate through the crossmember sheared off due to corrosion aswell so had to cut these off and weld new nuts in place

RICHARD

Thanks Richard,

I will set out 2 days for this one then. I spent a year welding rusty trains for a living so I know what hard work it can be doing all the prep work. Mine does have the extra plate that bolts to the rear tub, did you bolt it on to the tub/crossmember to line it up before welding ?

Matt

Thanks Richard,

I will set out 2 days for this one then. I spent a year welding rusty trains for a living so I know what hard work it can be doing all the prep work. Mine does have the extra plate that bolts to the rear tub, did you bolt it on to the tub/crossmember to line it up before welding ?

Matt

Hi Matt yes i fitted it together with a few bolts to line it up then after welding removed it to be able to paint both surfaces before final fitting .