Coleman lantern question

popotla

I have a 12-volt, 100W Coleman halogen lantern, run from vehicle (second) battery, and like it. However, for most purposes the light is too bright. Would it be a simple matter to add into the cable a regulator (this probably isn’t the correct word) – a dimmer, more like- so I can adjust the brightness from very low to full?

Under running halogen bulbs is generally just a voltage thing. Lower the 12v to 11.5v or 11v or whatever and you will see a marked brightness difference and bulb life will increase quite a bit. A simple variable resistor should drop the required voltage and generate the required brightness. However this will not really see a marked increase in energy efficiency. Halogen bulbs are really just incandescent bulbs with a slightly different chemical reaction taking place. You will note that as you the lower the voltage the colour (temperature) will change to a completely different light. This might be undesired. Advice is change to a “dimmer” bulb with the require rating or change to LED. However LEDs are quite directional and I don’t know your application.