howling leaking pas pump

my pas pump has started howling since a day of off roading and is starting to leak from the neck seal, will the leak cause the pump to howl i also have bubbles in the resevoir.

Is the neck seal easy to replace I have seen them for sale.

many thanks

will the leak cause the pump to howl

No, but the innards of the pump being out of alignment might - the bearing could have suffered in whatever event started the seal leaking.

Check the belt, if it is covered in power steering fluid this could also cause it to make a noise.

Is the neck seal easy to replace I have seen them for sale.

No idea, but if the shaft is worn or the front bearing has gone, a good second hand one or recon unit might be less trouble in the long run!

They howl when the fluid is low and hence there is air in the system (hence the bubbles in the tank). Try leaving it all to settle, topping up and then cycling the steering until the air has bled out. You may need to bleed it properly.

Mine has started to squeal as well but I know the belt is ok and the fluid level is fine, so whats the best way to bleed it?