04 Difflock Question

Martin90

Hi there,

I'm currently living in Abu Dhabi and went to see an '04 disco yesterday, I thought the 04 model had the difflock reinstated which is something I want for sand driving but this had only the knob showing high / low and the lever would definitely not move to the left although the sticker on the facia showed the difflock gate. This has left me a little confused, the vehicle comes with loads of receipts and history and shows no sign of having the box changed.

Am I confused about the 04 having the difflock or was it only for certain markets? Any advice greatly received!

Thanks,

Martin

I can't add much to the "certain markets" but I have an 04 LandMark. (UK).

What you describe is exactly what I have in mines, the Sticker on the dash indicates CDL, but the lever will not move left.

I have since found out that the best (most reliable) way to find out what you have is check the transfer box. If you have the spigot for the CDL on the transfer box then you can buy the lever and cables.

If there is no spigot (as I have on mines) then you you will have to get the "full kit" including transfer box parts to fit a CDL.

For more details have a look at discovery2.co.uk, pictures and part numbers are on there included in a very nice write up.

Hope This helps

alan

It was available from 03MY but only as an option as above ^^ presumably the vast majority of shiny owners didn't opt for it.

Ashcroft kit is all genuine parts IIRC: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_17.html you will still need to check if the t/box has the spigot on it, if not then surgery is required to add it. Well worth doing as the D2 ETC is useless in heavy going like peat so I would think that sand is the same, the last thing you want when you are nearly stuck is a stupid fkn computer putting the brakes on! I have never done it to mine just because I use the Defender for any off road work as it is much better.