Lack of power and overheating

Hello there, I have a 1992 200 tdi 90 and for a while now the temp gauge has been getting too high for my liking and just last night it was touching the red,it got to this piont after 10 miniutes and SOMETIMES goes down back into the white when i slow down or stop.The coolant level is fine and hasnt gone down since i last looked at it, the thermostat is about 6 months old and the radiator is about 3 months old.

Also last night my 90 has developed a hatred for small hills and also getting to 60 mph, when the temperature was below freezing a week ago it wouldn't go above 30mph untill it warmed up. I took the air filter out this mourning and it was quite muddy (pay and play site) which isnt good.

Could these problems be linked?

any help appreciated

Is it actually overheating or is it telling you porkies?!

many moons ago when my 90" had a 300tdi diseasel in it, i had similar readings. when i put the headlights on it got worse!.

It turned out to be a dodgy guage. a replacement from halfords solved this.

A friend of mine also recently had this with his 200tdi and it turned out to be a bad connection behind the guage.

Worth ruling out. A muddy/dirty air filter is never good and could cause temp problems.

Steve

Thank you steve, i had thought about the gauge being faulty and have thought about getting a digital one or just a more modern one does anyone know where i can get one or recomend a specific make?

also is there anything else i can check in the mean time?

cheers

Spose id better get down ther innit.

By the way i just went up the road in it without an air filter and it seems to alot better but i still think it lacks power. While iwas up the road I put the lights on and the gauge went up a bit turned them off it went back down so it must be what you said.

cheers