High Ratio Transfer Box

Reg

Hi,

I am currently assembling an Ashcroft S3 high ratio transferbox using parts from a spare box.

I have stripped the box down to it's components and found difficulty extracting the output shaft as the previous "rebuilder" had ground off/broken the eyelets on the circlip.

To remove the circlip I had to jam it with one screwdriver and punch it loose with a second screwdriver. The bearings and shafts are serviceable.

I therefore need :

• a replacement circlip for the output shaft. no part number known
  • a washer intermediate shaft part no 521328 in addition to the one supplied with the box.
  • several shims for intermediate shaft part no 561197 (quantity your suggestion!)
  • Bottom inspection plate studs x 3
  • Speedometer drive pinion oil seal x1

Can anybody point me to a parts supplier who can source the bits I need please?

The part number for the circlip is 90217526.

521328 is a THRUST WASHER that should be replaced in pairs.

561197 are added once the clearances have been measured for each box. I have 3 spare t/cases here and only one has a shim. So if your t/case has one shim, then I wouldn't think that it will need more. With new thrust weashers it may not need any, but you have to check the clearances. ;)

90212104 is the part number for the inspection plate studs.

211502 is the oil seal for the speedo drive.

Any of the internet parts suppliers can sort these parts easily and it wouldn't break the bank.

Cheers,

Todd.

Thanks Todd for the part number, as I am fitting shafts & bearings into a modified transfer case I dont think the tolerances will be the same hence the need for shims. The transfer case that Im robbing only had one thrust washer so it was rotating on the housing face at the other end.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally..cant imagine rubbing against the housing will do it much good...

a note from experience - I bought a circlip from LR Series for that job, and it didnt fit and there was LOADS of play. I bought another the same shaft size from engineering suppliers, and that was the same. Never did get rid of the backlash, even with a new thrust washer...but its still running quiet all the same...its only been in a month but its been pushed reasonably hard

My Ashcroft transfer box is now going back together thanks to the part numbers supplied. As the old box is redundant, the slight wear on the casing from a missing thrust washer is not a problem.

I think the old LR Safari which I canabalised was repaired by Messrs Bodgit an Run. The engine and gearbox had been out and replaced with several bits loose, missing or in the wrong place.

It had a fantastically hard brake pedal when I got it, and a bent OS wing. When I took the wing off I found the brake pipe flattened where the engine had been used as a lump hammer!! I guess the last owner found he could'nt stop. Its a good job he bent the car, there was no oil in the transmission and the gearbox output castellated nut was pinned but finger tight. Things would have gone downhill rapidly in more senses than one.

On the subject of Transfer box stripping, I studied the Haines Manual before diving in. Having been defeated by the damaged circlip which I punched out from above I have discovered that the box can be reassembled with the outer bearing race and large locating circlip (not the one on the shaft) installed.

Having got all my bits together I entered the shaft through the other bearing opening refitting the gears from the access opening. I slipped the new circlip onto the shaft before the inner race after alligning the washer with its tabs in the locating groove. Then laying the box on its face over the edge of the bench, I tapped the shaft through the inner race using the captive outer race as a retainer. The circlip slid up the shaft and dropped into its place without having to fiddle with pliers. I retrieved the other bearing outer race from the freezer where it was cooling and tapped it into place using a a offcut of 22mm copper pipe as a drift. Magic...Damn....now I need some extra shims to pack out the speedo housing to fit the new Ashcroft casing, waiting for the post to arrive.

During the waiting for bits time I have cleaned up and resprayed the cover plates and gearbox mountings using Rustoleum spray cans, cleaned up all the nuts and bolts and replaced the ones with damaged faces (Mr Bodgit used open enders a lot.) The casing will also get a coat of Rustoleum Aluminium paint, nobody will see it but the MOT man but I like clean shiny bits.