300tdi coolant problems

My problem that i get excessive pressure and permanent airlocks turning up in my system.

i am not losing any coolant and i am not overheating, i just dont like knowing the fact that that this permanently happens

th other day i drove 1 mile then left the car to cool for 12 hrs came back to it and the pressure realease that came out when i opend the header tank was massive.

following this i drained the entire system replaced all the jubilee clips and plastic plugs with brass plugs, i then refilled and fully bled the system hoping this would work. although the problem still works.

this wkend i am replacing the head gasket just incase its xhaust gasses getting into the coolant.

i just wondered if anyone else had any ideas or had the same problem..

note. this has only been happening since it boiled all its water and blew the p gasket due to the weather freezeing the heater matrix.

thanks tom

I would say it's probably a head gasket or a head problem. If the pressure is building up after your boiling then perhaps you may have a cracked or warped head.

Only think to do is to take the head off and have a look. I would also get the head pressure checked.

How did you fill the system ?

This is the way for a 300Tdi

Remove the plugs from the top of the thermostat housing and the radiator

Fill the header tank and fit the cap.

Fill at the top of the thermostat housing until water flows out of the radiator top, making sure there are no air locks.

Fit the plug to the radiator.

Fill to the top of the thermostat housing. Again checking for air locks.

Fit the plug to the thermostat housing.

Check and fill the header tank to level if required

Also

Check that the radiator isn't clogged up with krap in the fins

Also also

300Tdi have a habit of the radiator matrix clocging up inside. This leads to overheating problems.

HTH

my engine is currently in pieces had the head off today but was too cold so finishing 2mro,

i couldnt see any blows in the gasket and the head and block are perfect flat to within .01mm and no scratches, damage or cracks

when i fill i do follow that procedure.

also when i took my head off i had removed the bottom rad hose to drop coolant but the engine stayed full of coolant, any ideas why? or is this how it shoud be?

thanks for the quick replys.

tom

Tom

If you are sure that the head gasket wasn't at fault. Then get the radiator checked at a rad place. Especially if it's over three years old.

lol its 12 yrs old

engine back 2getha and it runs amazing even has better performance.

upon closer inspecion of the gasket there was some traking across from pistons 2 and 3 to the coolant way.

will keep an eye on it now and hopefully itl stay good.

thanks guys, will let you know if theres any problems.

tom