Death wobbles and shopping trolleys

A while back I wrote about a death-wobble that I was getting on the front, around 40mph plus. It made driving the vehicle impossible and really dangerous.

Thought I had cured it with new panhard rod bushes, and on the weekend run it had. But, coming down the hill on the dual carriageway and braking at the bottom, it came back.

This led me to the following thinking: there's a 2" lift on it, and the hockey-sticks are standard. Am I perhaps experiencing the shopping-trolley effect, the castor angle is just going that little bit too extreme during the lift and the braking ? Is it perhaps that, that in these circumstances are making this so dangerous ?

Just looking for some thoughts on this - castor-corrected arms aren't cheap, so before I get the visa out...

.. and if it does come to that, any recommendations for which/where to buy ?

Cheers

A

A while back I wrote about a death-wobble that I was getting on the front, around 40mph plus. It made driving the vehicle impossible and really dangerous.

Thought I had cured it with new panhard rod bushes, and on the weekend run it had. But, coming down the hill on the dual carriageway and braking at the bottom, it came back.

This led me to the following thinking: there's a 2" lift on it, and the hockey-sticks are standard. Am I perhaps experiencing the shopping-trolley effect, the castor angle is just going that little bit too extreme during the lift and the braking ? Is it perhaps that, that in these circumstances are making this so dangerous ?

Just looking for some thoughts on this - castor-corrected arms aren't cheap, so before I get the visa out...

.. and if it does come to that, any recommendations for which/where to buy ?

Cheers

A

Did you check/redo the bushes on hockey sticks?

get some one to rock the truck side to side while you check all the bushes you soon see which one/s are the problem :)

as i had a problem like you describe and it was a loose radius arm to axles bolt.

would be very surprised if was the lift that was the problem.. might have just helped accelerate wear ...

hope this helps.

Once you're happy all the bushes are fine, check the swivel pin preload?

Having had simalar problems with diferent models of Landys over the years I would go for steering swivel pe-load first. The series 2A,s and 3,s we had in the army had steering relays changed to get rid of this problem. The relays were a pig to change and we soon learnt the hard way it was pre-load most of the time including a batch of newer Series 3,s. :rolleyes: