V8 Alternator Belt

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions, I recently changed the Alternator belt on my '87 factory fitted V8. I have the alternator pulled away from the engine as far as the bracket allows and in this position there is barely enough tension.

With a new belt this cannot be right, can it? Has anyone else had this problem?

The vehicle was originally fitted with air con and the belt is a Bearmach item, part number ERR2073.

Any help/suggestions very welcome...

Sorted! As suggested on another forum I went to Halfords to try and find a belt not so long. Anyway, I got a belt 675mm long and it fits perfectly! If my source is reliable that is the correct length of a genuine Land Rover belt anyway (something I later found out)...

It seems that sellers of non-genuine belts possibly source belts of a particular size and then list them as fitting any vehicle with a belt length within 10/15mm of this length.

This would explain the belt I brought originally (non-genuine) being 690mm and the old belt (which wasn't genuine either) being 685mm and being acceptable on full adjustment.

I could of course be talking a load of b*llocks but maybe it's true - you get what you pay for and should stick with genuine items!

Cheers.