ignition

What is the connector to the alternator - studs or a push-in connector? I seem to remember that there is a brown wire from the alternator that goes to the battery (for charging), is there a second wire that feeds the ignition/fusebox? It sounds like you have a broken wire somewhere - I suspect that even with the alternator missing you should still have 12v at the ignition.

Cheers

Peter

What is the connector to the alternator - studs or a push-in connector? I seem to remember that there is a brown wire from the alternator that goes to the battery (for charging), is there a second wire that feeds the ignition/fusebox? It sounds like you have a broken wire somewhere - I suspect that even with the alternator missing you should still have 12v at the ignition.

Cheers

Peter

hi, what i have is 1 red lead off battery to starter motor, off the s/motor 4 brown wires paired up on eye rings two go to alternator, other 2 joinup to a male and female rubber plug which then goes into the bulkhead, what's happening is battery light staying on when ignition is off, and this morning i had no ignition at all but the ignition lights come on the dash, car started yesterday, used another alternator today and still battery light stays on and no ignition can anyone help :angry:;):) cheer's defender dinky

hi, what i have is 1 red lead off battery to starter motor, off the s/motor 4 brown wires paired up on eye rings two go to alternator, other 2 joinup to a male and female rubber plug which then goes into the bulkhead, what's happening is battery light staying on when ignition is off, and this morning i had no ignition at all but the ignition lights come on the dash, car started yesterday, used another alternator today and still battery light stays on and no ignition can anyone help :angry:;):) cheer's defender dinky

At the back of the alternator there should be at least one more thin wire coloured brown and black (I think), which should also go to the big plug near the bulkhead. I think this might be connected to the wrong terminal on the alternator (is it on one marked W?). Try a different one, if there is one.

BUT - the "no ignition" thing is puzzling. Check that the big plug and socket are pushed together properly (you might need a gorilla) , as the ignition, battery feed, alternator feed, alternator warning light, oil pressure light and water temperature gauge all go through it.

Could you put your vehicle in your sig? Save us a bit of guessing ;)

what i have is 1 red lead off battery to starter motor - that shouldn't affect the ignition

off the s/motor 4 brown wires paired up on eye rings two go to alternator - that's for re-charging the battery

other 2 join up to a male and female rubber plug which then goes into the bulkhead - they are what feed the fuse box and ignition

Can you check that you are getting 12v on the fuses and on the ignition? As I said earlier, theoretically it should all work with the alternator missing

Cheers

Peter