Fixing up my new 89 Disco V8

Outdoor Ed

Right then, just recently bought an 89 3dr Disco V8. In very good condition overall actually needs one or two jobs sorting on it but fir £350 I can't complain really. I'm just after a bit of advice.

As expected the sills need doing, now I can't weld and don't own a welder (probably best that way) now I know you can get sill replacement bits for not a lot of cash, but I have also heard of people just welding on a length of box section steel, is this right? Better idea? Seems so to me as it's going to be stronger and probably longer lasting. I intend to put on a set of jackable rock/tree sliders on too, if nothing else it's a useful side step, do my ideas sound sensible?

Yes. Your ideas sound sensible, but as you probably know, it's not just a case of welding the box section on... There is quite a bit of cutting and remodelling to do to get rid of all the rust and to make sure the door pillars are reattached well...

Here's how we did it on my Range Rover... Same principle, just a different body shape on top...

My thread

HTH

Adrian

Here's how we did it on my Range Rover... Same principle, just a different body shape on top...

Agreed - box section is the way to go - but would I be right in thinking that on a three door Disco the job would actually be more difficult due to reduced access since there are no back doors?

Roger