Front pad rattle

karlo

I have Paddocks Front - non vented - slotted and drilled Performance Brake Discs with Lockheed pads fitted and the pads make a terrible noise as I'm driving along, You can see the inner pad lifted by the disc then falling back if you spin the hub, I have tapered the end of the pads but it is still doing it. Didn't do it on the old discs and pads.

I have been told to fit genuine LR pads but @ £50 a set I thought I would ask if anyone else had experienced this problem?

Although my discs are standard I don't have any probs with the EBC Ultimax pads I fitted four months ago. I also replaced the pins and anti-rattle springs I didn't need to but I did as they were only £3, the pads were around £20 delivered and I think they are better than the genuine ones that they replaced as they do grab.I used Mintex once and they only lasted 8k miles so I went back genuine pads but now it's EBC.

So did you replace the pins and springs? also you may have the wrong pads.

Pads are the right ones, I did re use the pins and springs though.

I did mine only because that's what is recomendeI I have never done it before, front or rear. Even through my rrc days I never did and as I said I didn't need to this time, but worth a check may be, may depend on the type use the brakes get hard braking dayin dayout then may be, other than that <_<

I did mine only because that's what is recomendeI I have never done it before, front or rear. Even through my rrc days I never did and as I said I didn't need to this time, but worth a check may be, may depend on the type use the brakes get hard braking dayin dayout then may be, other than that <_<

:closedeyes: Fistly let me say this is not my idea, this sugestion came from a forum user somewere out there . I had horific pad rattle after fitting new discs and pads as suplied by Padocks. Nearside no problem, off side outer pad ratled in the caliper. As sugested by said forun user I slit a piece of 6mm nylon air pipe down one side and carefuly slid this down the leading edge of the pads. This opened out the pipe and acted as a bufer between the edge of the pad and the caliper. I then ran supper glue down the opened out pipe to keep it in place. Once I had time to play with my Disco I put the old pads back in and the ratle stoped. It has been sugested that a piston may be sticking, belive me I have freed off the pistons in that caliper several times to no avail. Looking very closely at the caliper it is definatly worn on one leading inner edge. A bit of free air pipe and super glue from work is a good cure. :rolleyes:

I fitted new discs and pads to my 300tdi last year.

First run out I thought I had left something loose!!

Checked and rechecked everything, started to get really paranoid that it was a cv joint or something!

Put a post on here and was told it was pad rattle, never heard of it before, but the advice was that it would go away after a thousand miles or so, and..............................it did.

Just disappeared one day, never to be heard again :D

The discs and pads have been on since August, Admittedly it doesn't do many miles a week but will have covered a few hundred miles in that time, the air pipe sounds like a plan but I thought super glue disintegrated with heat?

I've ordered a new fitting kit from DLS so I'll give that a try then maybe the air pipe, I have some breather pipe so that should do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the kit this morning and so far it seems a lot better, not completely gone but I can live with it, developed another rattle which I think is the mud shield, doesn't do it all the time so I think that is destined for the bin.

Fitted the kit this morning and so far it seems a lot better, not completely gone but I can live with it, developed another rattle which I think is the mud shield, doesn't do it all the time so I think that is destined for the bin.

I came off a green lane run early because of the pad ratle problem. The two trucks behind me thought my CV joints were about to exspire. I never thought about the superglue vers heat, but the rattle has gone and the brakes seem fine. I have to go under a subway 100 yds from my front door every day and racket from the pads was like a machine gun. :blush:

I bought non gen pads and discs from paddocks - depsite the fact that the box they sent them in was padded out with the remains of someones lunch - sandwich crusts and a banana skin - the pads rattled and squeeked.

I now only fit gen. The differences are that the mintex ones dont have chamfered sides and the gen ones do. This stops the squeeks and if fitted with new springs that come with the pads, with a bit of copper slip on the back of the pads stops the rattle. Job done.