Freelander vibration

gk10

I recently bought a 2006 Freelander 2.0 TD4. Went up to Scotland after Christmas and it never missed a beat up or down. Just recently it has developed a bad vibration which transmits through the seats and causes the gear lever to shake from left to right.

I took a 2 year warranty out with it so I booked it into a garage for inspection. They have diagnosed the flywheel (apparently it has a double one to reduce the torque on the engine?) as the cause although I`m not so sure.

Would be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Just a few thoughts.

I once had something like this and it was caused by a lump of mud stuck inside the alloy wheel.

Otherwise:

Is the vibration frequency related to the engine speed? If not is it road speed dependant?

Is the car only firing on three cylinders (ie has the power available dropped) - could be an injector problem?

What happens if you go along in neutral with the engine idling?

Have you checked engine mountings?

Why should a flywheel suddenly become unbalanced? Is the clutch working OK? This double flywheel /torque story sounds a bit suspect.

The TD4 does run a DM flywheel and will cause bad vibrations if its faulty.....but i would expect more symptoms/noise etc if it was that.

Is it engine speed or road speed related ?

If its road speed i would look more to the rear prop set up (vcu damper etc) for your problem.

Post your location so members closer might be able offer more help/guidance.

Evening All,

This is a strange one, mainly because I'm experiencing the same problem and, I have had a problems with a faulty injector/s lately, I have had some refurbished and think maybe one is not quite right. Can feel the vibration through the pedals, gear stick and feels like the engine is going to jump out of the bonnet whilst idle and in neutral.If slowly increase revs it become less apparent and disapears, also I have known for a while the clutch is in need of replacement, so is going to the main dealers tomorrow for this, and also to be hooked up to the test book to check the injectors over, only because I think the independent garage I used for the injectors, may have given up due to not having the diagnostics.

Will let you know the outcome

Cheers

Keith