Purchasing of a Disco

Peterla

I am very new tho this forum and to disco's for that matter too.

I am looking to purchase a TDi year 92 to 96 as this seems to fit in my budget price.

Any help with things to look out for before I spend my hard earned cash would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Peter...... given the age-range of the motor you're looking at, you've got a whole load of decisions to make before even looking for a suitable motor:

Engines: V8, 200tdi, 300tdi (don't even consider the Mpi!!!) - all have different characteristics and pro's and con's

Gearboxes: LT77, R380, etc - again, there are pro's and con's

Bells & Whistles: Air-con, electric mirrors, cd-changers, etc, etc, etc......

Also it might help if you explain what you're planning to use the Disco FOR..... originally they were popular as towing vehicles, chelsea tractors and so on, but lately (as the prices have fallen and the accessories market has risen) they're being used more and more as off-roaders, after a bit of modding - how you plan to use it will have an influence on the choice of vehicle (I have a commercial 300tdi as an off-roader and a basic 300tdi 'S'-spec model for touring/everyday use as I prefer to stay away from too much electronic gimmickery!)

There are lots of common weak-points with the various models, depending on age and spec - rusting rear floors, rusty sills, clunky transmissions and so on....... there have been LOTS of discussions on this, and other forums that cover the common things to look at - definitely worth giving the 'Search' button some exercise!!

Good luck!! :D

Dunk

OOPS - just noticed you specified TDI in your original mail....... ignore any comments about V8's, but the rest still stands.....

Dunk

Peter...... given the age-range of the motor you're looking at, you've got a whole load of decisions to make before even looking for a suitable motor:

Engines: V8, 200tdi, 300tdi (don't even consider the Mpi!!!) - all have different characteristics and pro's and con's

Gearboxes: LT77, R380, etc - again, there are pro's and con's

Bells & Whistles: Air-con, electric mirrors, cd-changers, etc, etc, etc......

Also it might help if you explain what you're planning to use the Disco FOR..... originally they were popular as towing vehicles, chelsea tractors and so on, but lately (as the prices have fallen and the accessories market has risen) they're being used more and more as off-roaders, after a bit of modding - how you plan to use it will have an influence on the choice of vehicle (I have a commercial 300tdi as an off-roader and a basic 300tdi 'S'-spec model for touring/everyday use as I prefer to stay away from too much electronic gimmickery!)

There are lots of common weak-points with the various models, depending on age and spec - rusting rear floors, rusty sills, clunky transmissions and so on....... there have been LOTS of discussions on this, and other forums that cover the common things to look at - definitely worth giving the 'Search' button some exercise!!

Good luck!! :D

Dunk

OOPS - just noticed you specified TDI in your original mail....... ignore any comments about V8's, but the rest still stands.....

Dunk

Thanks Dunk

I will be using it for towing a camper trayler and then setting up a camp with my family. From there some 4WD in day trips. Typically it wil be a 3,000 km to 4,000 km round trip as in Australia you need to travel a bit to get to some good 4WD sites.

Day to day driving is done with my company car so milage on the disco will be limited to around 10,000 a year. I only have so much holidays to go 4WD.

Thanks for your comments

Peter