Shifter/difflock lever lubrication.

ajh

How are the two levers/balls in the shifter housing on an R380 lubricated? Both have some pretty sludgy ugly green gloop in them (new to me R380, has not been run with clean oil). Are they part of the pump driven manual transmission loop or do they need to be mantained?

They are lubed with a slab of grease at the start. Normally I don't think that they need to be worried about. But if needed, they can be taken off from the box. That means that the gearbox tunnel have to be taken out and it's also a close call to the seatbox...

They sit i separate housings and have no connection to the gearbox oil.

OK, yes I'm looking into the top of them and they look pretty bad. So I can just flush them out with some solvent and stick some one-shot swivel grease in there? (I have a couple extra packages of it) The manual does not mention anything about the shifter housing. Looks like at some point somehow water got in and mixed with the grease. There's even a small amount of rust around the shifter ball.

took both of my gearlever housing off last week as part of the gearbox move for a clutch change, gearbox oil does get up there as both the locations on my R380 had oil in them, any general grease will do, I stuffed a good dose of Castrol LM in the 2 housings & refitted them.

OK, not solid. The existing sludge looks like it got water contamination in it, likely from the MTF (but who knows) so enough to prevent upsplash and not so much it gets forced out. I suspect a clogged breather could result in a huge mess if it is too full :)