In praise of the 30mm 'Goldilocks' body lift

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I have just fitted a 30mm body lift to the 1990 RRC which has standard (slightly H-D) suspension. The main reason for doing this was to affordably get more clearance under the back of the rear wheel arches for the 235/85R16 mud tyres which were just lightly catching at full articulation. During fitting it became apparent that, for me at least, this is the Goldilocks of lifts - not too big and not too little - and so I thought I would write it up giving thoughts, ideas and discoveries made along the way. Cost and time for me are major considerations and so I didn't want to have to start replacing or moving more than was absolutely necessary.

Usage

To help with understanding my reasoning below, here's a quick note on my normal usage: Typically I will use the car only for green-laning and driving to/from and competing in RTV type trials. Occasionally it will get used for a 600 mile round trip to Scotland. I am not particularly competitive offroad, preferring to bimble around and have fun.

Appearance/Cost

I didn't want the thing to look like it is on stilts, I wanted a little more height for the tyre clearance but that was it really. Avoiding additionally cost is a significant factor for me.

Fitting Notes

Steering joints: The splined joint in the steering column undid easily during fitting and when I came to do them up I noticed that with a 30mm lift each spline only needed to be slid out to it's maximum fully-engaged position to allow for the additional drop from body to chassis. Additionally the angles at which the joins are now working is not noticeably different to standard - "Goldilocks" I thought :D

Middle body mounts: The middle mounts - between the chassis legs - the ones that are threaded and mounted on a 'hinge' (for want of a better word) and look like they are intended to strengthen the floor in the area of the bask mounting of the front seats - probably for the seat-belts I think. These mounts have an extra length of threaded section which can just nicely accommodate a 30mm lift without having to replace them. "Goldilocks" I thought :D

Transmission tunnel clearance: When removing the engine it was apparent that the top transmission tunnel bolts are a bit of a biatch to get to - clearance in this area is going to be significantly improved with the 30mm lift. Any less wouldn't make much difference, any more would cause other problems - "Goldilocks" I thought :D

Gear levers: With a 30mm lift it is not necessary to touch the gear levers at all. In fact they still look relatively normal in their new, 'shorter' form - "Goldilocks" I thought :D

Hydraulics: The (flexi) brake pipes will always need replacing with any body lift, but at least with a 30mm lift the clutch flexible pipe makes it ok, although I have replaced mine anyway for other reasons.

Bumpers: With higher lifts the bumpers need to be relocated so that they still look right with the bodywork. I already had a higher than normal front bumper which looks fine with the new lift, and I have found that the rear looks ok too apart from a gap under the lower tailgate which I will easily be able to fill with something later - "Goldilocks" I thought :D

Fuel filler pipe: With higher lifts it might become necessary to modify the fuel filler pipe whilst the standard flexible filler pipe can easily accommodate a 30mm lift - "Goldilocks" I thought :D (note to self: Check that I have tightened the clamps up!!! blink.gifblush.gifohmy.gif

Radiator etc: With a 30mm lift it is possible to leave the radiator in it's standard position wrt the chassis and engine (and leave the fan cowl in place) and only re-mount the upper mounting brackets - a small job and another "Goldilocks" I thought :D

I will return to this topic later with some photos, but for now I just wanted to post this up in case it helps anyone currently on the fence about body lifts.

Incidentally, I went for Wizardbilt spacers (he will make them to any size you want and seems reasonable in price and good on delivery - no connection) and self-sourced extra-length 10mm high tensile bolts. I had to 'ream' the rust out of a couple of the big top-hat washers with a 10mm drill, but apart from that I had no problems lining anything up or getting the bolts through. The standard LR bolts are 'special' items, but this is (in my humble opinion) solely because they have a point on the end to aid production-line assembly of the body to the chassis - I don't believe them to be anything special in other way.

TTFN

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of extra points -

The clutch hose did reach with the standard (body-mount) fixing between it and the rigid 'top' pipe, but once the weight of the engine was fully on the rubbers, it was too tight for comfort - so the easiest solution was to make another bracket and ease the rigid pipe down a little.

As predicted the bell-housing bolts are so much easier to get at now - I actually managed to use a torque-wrench and multiple extensions to get at the top two, so all of them are now correctly torqued :)