still got steering problem

hi all, recently done rebuild on d90 1987 with a 200tdi disco engine in it,from the disco i also took suspension springs off it and put them on my 90, which makes it look as if the front end is sticking up in the air a little bit, would this affect my steering at all because when driving along revs on steering seems ok ish but when slowing down to corner gets really stiff where as can't change gear at the same time because need two hands to turn wheel, tried bleeding still the same and when bleed nipple open turn engine shoots all over the place so don't think it's the pump, when rebuild i stripped everything down sent chassis off sandblast and galvanising, followed threads on swivel preloads so i think that's ok, steering wheel moves 1" either way without doing anything, i took coloum out to paint bulkhead, just trying to tell you what i done and narrow the problem down, again grateful any suggestions, :) cheer's defender dinky

are the 2 UJ's on the lower column in good condition, if these are dry/stiff it makes the steering heavy, try a good dose of duckoil or WD40 on them.

having the vehicles nose slightly higher than the back isn't ideal, would be better either level or slightly down.

are the 2 UJ's on the lower column in good condition, if these are dry/stiff it makes the steering heavy, try a good dose of duckoil or WD40 on them.

having the vehicles nose slightly higher than the back isn't ideal, would be better either level or slightly down.

hi, western could you advise me on which springs would be best for my truck, i have looked at the springs link in archives, but still none the wiser, i have a d90 1987 with a 200 tdi disco engine, stanard shocks, heavy bumper with winch, hoping to put 255 x 85 a/t on it at later date 75% road use 25% greenlaning, i will be removing disco springs as soon as, as above front to high cheer's dd

hi, thanks for that western, now steering problem, i now have dirty black oil leaking from bottom of steering boxfrom the spline and down drop arm, does this mean what i thinks it means ?? steering box curput, or can i repair, cheer's dd

Probably safer & quicker to change the steering box, thoughif the shaft seal is available you maybe able to change it & flush the box with fresh PAS fluid [ATF]

hi,this afternoon i took steering damper, t/rods and wheels off, steering great, put damper back on stiff steering, could i have set preload to much, i set preload at 14/16lbs which i read in a link someone sent me, but i did this with all the seals in, but not the brake calipers on was that right :huh::unsure: cheer's dd

also check the damper isn't partly seized or damaged, swivel preload without the seal or steering rods fitted should be between 3.60 to 4.50kg [7.9lbs to 9.92lbs] from Defender workshop manual, once the initial inertia has been overcome