Discovery 2 td5 engines.

kingdong2

Hi all

mileage wise what are disco 2 td5 engines good for we are looking at buying a disco 2 td5 auto prefurbly on an 04 plate in the next couple of months and obviusly the less miles the better.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

Hi all

mileage wise what are disco 2 td5 engines good for we are looking at buying a disco 2 td5 auto prefurbly on an 04 plate in the next couple of months and obviusly the less miles the better.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

Ive jus picked up a TD5 disco 2 recently (manual) and already used it for towing regularly at the quarry its been pulling 2 tonnes of gravel/concrete mix plus the weight of the trailer, you name it. Although Ive still got my 05 disco 2 (4.0 V8) as I do like the smoothness and speed of the disco. The auto disco 2's are more sluggish the the manual and when your towing the consequences will be the same. Plus I suppose it depends on what your towing. Getting to the point of your intial question they are both excellent for towing. :D

Ive jus picked up a TD5 disco 2 recently (manual) and already used it for towing regularly at the quarry its been pulling 2 tonnes of gravel/concrete mix plus the weight of the trailer, you name it. Although Ive still got my 05 disco 2 (4.0 V8) as I do like the smoothness and speed of the disco. The auto td5 disco 2's are more sluggish the the manual and when your towing the consequences will be the same. Plus I suppose it depends on what your towing. Getting to the point of your intial question they are both excellent for towing. :D

186,000mls on the D2 Td5 man 1998 I bought in December 09, FSH up to 113,00, then the last owner did not do anything with it for 3yrs, but he did have a bill for front hubs in the Nov for £400... I have done all fluids & full service, returns 25mpg and I,m as happy as the proverbial...just need to make sure you service regularly and treat them with TLC.

The highest I have seen on an original engine was 238,000.Seems as though they will go on well if they make it to 150,000,but so many seem to die between 80 and 120,000.

What stuffs it for me is the high cost of repair unlike the TDI - which is why I'll carry on using TDI's for as long as I can,plus they are less fussy and cheaper to service.