8274 Oil Leak

Grim...

Hi all. I used my recently-acquired second-hand 8274 at the weekend at my first challenged, and apart from quickly having to get used the the overrun winding the rope the wrong way it performed very well.

However, at the end of the day I noticed that a fair amount of oil had leaked out from behind the brake.

How do I go about putting the new oil back in, and do I need to replace a seal?

those seals quite often pop out and there was a mod around for holding them in place, i dont have details of it to hand.

you can remove the brake assembly to change the seal. have your tried pushing the old one back in and 'glueing' it in place?

have your tried pushing the old one back in and 'glueing' it in place?

No, I've not looked at it at all yet - I'm going up to the workshop over Easter.

What other parts will be worth looking at while I've got it out of the truck / in bits?

Excellent, I've already got that winch rebuilt bookmarked.

Running it whilst it was leaking wouldn't have damaged it, would it?

What oil should I fill it up with? That page says 30wt motor oil, but that strikes me as a bit thick.