rebuild or replace

hi all

i went out to my 1988 90 td started the engine after about 20 secs pre heat

it ran but very rough even for a td then a bang lots of white and blue smoke from exhaust turned the engine off popped the bonnet and found a large amount of oil on the down pipe from the turbo.

my question is, is this a simple turbo has blown need a new one or engine has given up and needs a rebuild or tdi putting in thanks in advance for help.:unsure:

After the bang and before you switched the engine off - was it still running/sounding ok? Could be turbo or could be engine from the symptoms you describe. There's plenty of TD turbo's about from folk that have done the conversion, so a replacement would be relatively cheap. If it's the engine, then replacement parts are cheap too, so perhaps a 200TDi conversion is not necessary - depending on your problem.

Les.

hi les when i turned the engine off it still ran for about 5 secs and when you rev the engine and take you foot off the pedal it stays at the revs for about 5-10 secs lots of smoke a few knocks then drops back to tick over.

i think i might just have to put a recon turbo on see how that goes then start a full rebuild i think as there are loads off tdi engines about but to much for me thanks les for the reply im gonna go down the rebuild route

It sounds like your engine is on the verge of running on it's own oil, which is a wee bit catastrophic because you can't turn the engine off and it runs away. If you don't know how to kill the engine, then it'll eventually sieze-up.

Confirm that the engine is ok and it is the turbo by removing the tubo inlet pipe and see how much play (up and down) there is in the turbo shaft. Check also that it spins freely, not loaded with oil, and check the wastegate actuator is connected and moving.

Les.

hi les and also there is diesel in the turbo pipes and the turbo smells of it to so i would assume that it is not the turbo but more along the lines of the engine being the problem

cheers steve

The boost diaphragm won't be your problem, just a relatively insignificant part of it. Engines with just a split diaphragm will run fine, but will have no turbo boost. You may find that the engine will smoke a lot on start-up, but once the the engine is running for a short while, any fuel that's been pushed into the manifold will be burnt and the engine will run fine.

Les.

• 2 weeks later...