Knocking noise, on an 87 LR90

Hi all,

Took the truck out yesterday for the first real time after it had been semi-stood for 6 months, although it has been started almost daily and moved around as and when it was in the way, anyway as title it is a 1987 90 with a 200 tdi discovery engine(unsure of miles, and when it was changed) the engine has had the standard fan removed from the block and has what I am informed is a Kenlowe fixed to the rad,which has only an on/off switch in the cab we didnt go more than 6 or 7 miles roundtrip without having to stop 3 times to let the engine cool down, with the fan constantly on? got back and checked the water, was all good, maybe a little low in the expansion tank but after removing the plastic plug in the rad i could see it was full? so we put some water in the expansion tank and let it run for 30 mins, temp didnt move from cold? but we did spot a leak that seemed to be coming from a large core plug50mm in diameter at the rear of the engine between engine and bulkhead , not a big gush but a little drip. Cleaned off the core plug and made sure rad was brimming with water, let it run for an hour, leak gone temp not moving much away from cold, but there is now a clang? sort of sounds like a toffee hammer being gently tapped inside the engine, not even regular, might be twice in a minute, may be once in 5 mins?

Any clues to this unending twisty turny problem solving thing that is called owning a Land Rover :D

Paul

Possibly a faulty thermostat getting stuck sometimes on sometimes off?

Dont think that would make a noise like a gently tapping toffee hammer though....

Im sure an adult will be along soon for another diagnosis!

Jad

Intermittent tapping noise from the top of the engine could be worn rocker/shaft, or recessed valve cap/rocker pad. Maybe worn vaccuum pump too. You really need to identify the location of the noise as near as possible.

Les.

Hi Les,

Thanks for your time on this, I have videoed the engine and whilst doing so I deffinately heard the noise at 8 seconds but it doesnt come through on the video, the engine noise covers it on video at least, i've tried to locate the noise and I really cant, ive had my hands on seeing if i could feel from where i thought it was and it is illusive, the loudest place i heard it was from inside the drivers side, wheel arch? maybe this was because it was sheilding the engine noise a little? if i had to guess i would say it was from the top cover? but i would only say that if pushed, unless someone can come up with an idea and an easy fix for a novice im gonna book it in cos I want it ready for Driffield and this seems to be my last hurdle(at the moment)the over-heating problem seems to have gone away(fingers-crossed) with a drain and refill, so a little progress at least???

Paul

Bizarre as this might sound (and I am not joking) you need a stethoscope (aka a short length of garden hose with a small funnel in one end). Apply non-funnel end to your ear, and the funnel mouth to different places. This is going to take ages with such an intermittent noise, and get you the best funny looks going :ph34r: .

Work around and under the engine methodically, trying to find where the noise is loudest.

• 2 weeks later...

Back with more news,

not sure if its good or not?

collected the truck a couple of days ago, water leak fixed-ish, front core bung is dribbling slightly,that wasnt the leak though, that was from the thermostat housing, there is also a nut missing from the front casing and the knocking noise is still there, garage thought it was coming from the top of the engine. (again nut was already missing, not garages fault)

The guy at the garage has only repaired the leak and done a sniff test as he thought there was fuel in the water-all clear, his idea for the knocking is a piston ring catching, he has quoted about £100.00 to have the head off clean all the valves etc, but he has said that until the noise becomes more obvious or more persistent I should drive it as normal, so to sum up I really wanna go to Driffield in it, 160 miles round trip, will it make it safely?, I have breakdown/recovery so Im not that bothered if it goes bang as I have to pay £100.00 or so to have it repaired, thats if it is a piston ring? or I can get another engine for around the same price, oh its a 200 TDi Discovery engine, miles etc unknown, What do you think? I have tried to list the engines bad points so you have the whole story and whether you think Driffield it should go at the cost of the engine thats in there, if it did fail or go in the car?

A little more previous history on the engine, I bought it from a garage and actually met the guy who sold it to them by coincidence, he told me that he had, had a bad day, so he sat in what was then his truck and revved the Kn***ers off it trying to blow it up, so much so that neighbours had come round to watch? All in all I get the impression the engine has had a hard life???

Paul