200tdi-Re-con or Rebuild?

Just got round to taking the engine out of the 110 after running it for the last 6 months with a suspected bent con-rod due to a head gasket failure.

Found that

-no.4 conrod bent like a banana (had to grind some off to get it out)

-oil control ring broken

-cylinder has score mark at bottom, I presume where con-rod has contacted it

-this piston was also wet (diesel?) others were dry

-big end and main bearing shells worn back to copper

-crank and cam look in good condition and no noticeable wear lip at top of cylinders

Not sure weather to partially rebuild it or get it professionaly reconditioned (current mileage 160,000). Biggest problem I think is damage to the bore but as it is mainly at the botton will it still run ok?

Any opinions much appreciated as its the first time I've attempted this.

Mark

depending how bad the scoring is have it honed out(rebored if scoring is bad) new pistons and ring maybe new bigend shells and i cant see why you won't see it hit 250miles or more.

Anyone know if it can be rebored with cam in situ. I'd rather leave cam bearings alone as I hear they have to be line reamed. Are cam bearings prone to wear? Judging by the state of the others they probably could do with changing.

Other option is a disco block which I have in the garage. Don't know if its a runner but looks ok. Theres a bit of rust started to form on the bores though should I try and remove this?

Mark

Anyone know if it can be rebored with cam in situ. I'd rather leave cam bearings alone as I hear they have to be line reamed. Are cam bearings prone to wear? Judging by the state of the others they probably could do with changing.

Other option is a disco block which I have in the garage. Don't know if its a runner but looks ok. Theres a bit of rust started to form on the bores though should I try and remove this?

Mark

dont know much about land rover cam bearings never had to do onces on tractors.

i'd stick with what you know and after a light recon you engine should be good again.

Yes it can be re-bored with the camshaft in place. Saying that - it's only one bolt and the retainer plate to remove the camshaft (if you've already removed the lifters, etc).

Even if the cam. lifters, etc are still fitted - the block can be rebored. You have to be aware that there will be the risk of swarf in various places.

Les.