Couple of gearbox leaks

I've got a couple of leaks from the gearboxes (normal i hear you think!)

One is clearly EP90 and i suspect it is the intermediate shaft o ring/hole elongation that we have talked about recently. I have bunged some liquid gasket up there for now to see if that stops it - the other possibility is the bottom plate gasket or one of the bolts that goes through the gearbox housing into the transfer box cavity, although i feel the shaft o ring is probably the cause - if the gasket slows the leak that will confirm it. The handbrake drum has some EP90 on it and my first thought was rear output seal, but i think what i can see is just splash back from another leak. Any other ideas of the source of the leak are welcomed!

The other leak i can see is high up and has me a little stumped. Looking straight up past the LT77 drain plug and filler plug i can see red ATF where the breather hoses pass and around the reverse gear plunger (i think this is the plunger on the right hand side). Any ideas on the likely source of leakage here? is there a gasket that may have faile on the reverse gear plunger? (i didnt think much ATF would get up that high). I need to take the transmission tunnel off to have a proper look at this, but any ideas are welcome!

Thanks

One is clearly EP90 and i suspect it is the intermediate shaft o ring/hole elongation that we have talked about recently. I have bunged some liquid gasket up there for now to see if that stops it - the other possibility is the bottom plate gasket or one of the bolts that goes through the gearbox housing into the transfer box cavity, although i feel the shaft o ring is probably the cause - if the gasket slows the leak that will confirm it. The handbrake drum has some EP90 on it and my first thought was rear output seal, but i think what i can see is just splash back from another leak. Any other ideas of the source of the leak are welcomed!

The other leak i can see is high up and has me a little stumped. Looking straight up past the LT77 drain plug and filler plug i can see red ATF where the breather hoses pass and around the reverse gear plunger (i think this is the plunger on the right hand side). Any ideas on the likely source of leakage here? is there a gasket that may have faile on the reverse gear plunger? (i didnt think much ATF would get up that high). I need to take the transmission tunnel off to have a proper look at this, but any ideas are welcome!

Thanks

I have also got a leak of ATF from the same position and was also surprised to see a leak that high up. I've currently got the transmission tunnel off so will take a closer look but at first glance couldn't pinpoint where it was coming leaking from. Will let you know if I can locate the leak.

Mark

• 5 years later...

Thanks

Reb - I've got the same little drip of ATF. Same location too, up on the plunger housing. How did you resolve your problem?

Reb - I've got the same little drip of ATF. Same location too, up on the plunger housing. How did you resolve your problem?

Ha. I read your other post earlier and thought, I have a leak like that! Truth is, I haven't fixed this. I checked the oil level beaten services and the level was always fine. This led me to believe that this was a minor weep and so I wouldn't worry until I remove the box. I do think that re-sealing the reverse gear plunger would solve it as it is higher up than the breather. Sorry, that's not much help.

I actually changed the transfer box to a td5 one to solve the other leak I mention above. I was assured that the 'low mileage perfect box that didn't leak' that I was buying would be fine. Guess what..... it leaked (thanks 'adafish' of IRB for wasting my time and £50....), and probably worse than the one I had removed. At the moment I top that up about 400ml every 6k (so each service), but I plan to rebuild the original transfer box at some point and solve that leak completely.

Ha. I read your other post earlier and thought, I have a leak like that! Truth is, I haven't fixed this. I checked the oil level beaten services and the level was always fine. This led me to believe that this was a minor weep and so I wouldn't worry until I remove the box. I do think that re-sealing the reverse gear plunger would solve it as it is higher up than the breather. Sorry, that's not much help.

I actually changed the transfer box to a td5 one to solve the other leak I mention above. I was assured that the 'low mileage perfect box that didn't leak' that I was buying would be fine. Guess what..... it leaked (thanks 'adafish' of IRB for wasting my time and £50....), and probably worse than the one I had removed. At the moment I top that up about 400ml every 6k (so each service), but I plan to rebuild the original transfer box at some point and solve that leak completely.

Cheers Richard! It seems an odd one and certainly a bugger to access. I was able to get a flexy arm on an extension with a socket on the end onto the bolts on the plunger housing, from underneath, but they are tight as can be so no slackness as a cause. I guess I'll just top-up regularly and see how it goes! Land Rovers eh!