Spanner size for removing cooling fan.

kingdong2

Hi guys

was hopeing to remove the cooling fan from my td5 disco 2 and thinking i could use my spanner i have for the disco 1 300tdi but it doesn't fit, can anyone tell me what spanner size it is so i can go and buy one please.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

think its 36mm on td5 and 32 on tdi, but its a normal thread on a td5 not reverse thread. Guess how I know

you got someone to hold the fan after you loosend it and started the engine up.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

Graham, I just jammed a large scredriver between the bolts for the fan and then went at it with the spanner. Mines been off the defender all winter, and even with the rad covered I struggled to get the engine warm by the end of a 7 mile journey. The 200tdi had no fan for 30 months and never had a problem, but I thing I'm gona put an ex mondeo aircon double fan on just to be safe this time.

We found the cheapest way was to adapt an existing susplus spanner, Worked a treat and is a perfect fit.

If you are having issues with warm up/hot running tho I would take a look at your viscous fan coupling. We found with dads defender that his was running rather warm that the coupling was going loose then stiff then loose again when the engine was at full temp. We swapped mine on and it ran much cooler than it should as mines a very stiff coupling for some reason in the disco (Counteracts the lack of fins in the radiator ;)). Just worth a thought to check out how its reacting when u go for a run because as above we found dads particular after a 40 mile run to Oxford was so loose I could hold it stationary with the engine on easily.

Cheers

Ryck

yeh i did that with the d1 300tdi and thinking its the same for the d2 td5 but since i moded a spanner and bought the d2 i sold my house which had a garage i still have all my tools inc a bench grinder but no garage and the bench grinder at the mo is not fastened down so am unable to mod another spanner so the halfords tool was a better idea its 32mm and 36mm so will do both tdi and td5 engines.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.