land rover shakes

Hi all,

Have got the shakes, not sure why.

Thought it could have been the wheel balancing, got them rebalanced, taken the front prop off and went for a drive still there,

did A UJ in the rear prop with some play, still there.

Panhard rod looks ok, steering joints are fine, no play in the balls there

Also has a slight resistive grinding to it sometimes... hence the worry! :o

The landy is a 2001 TD5 defender 110 with 2 and a bit inch lift, running standard prop on the back and a wide angle bailey morris on the front, could the shake just be the front prop with that lift at speed? And the slight grind, the yokes?

Thanks in advance

Grant

got more than the shakes on mine and have read all the posts and checked all bushes dampers bolts ect(all seam ok) but refused to belive the wheel balancing could cause so much of a problem but after an off roading day last weekend it got massivly worse i could not get over 35 mph i can only assume the extra ****e on the wheels contributed to the already worring problem and the tyres are quite worn anyway new insa turbos should be arriving this week which i shall take to the tyre shop and get fitted and ballanced correctly i will then post on here to see if it is the cure if not i think the only souloution is for a full service of the sterring to check castor canber and the toe of the steering georometry need to try to keep this post alive as i know someone has made a very good check list of this problem and all contributions are very helpfull to other members as this seams to be a common problem

Has anybody tried putting BBs into the tyres instead of using weights to balance them ? I think that I read something about them on here a while ago but I never met anybody who uses them.

I have the vibes too but have realised that a front UJ is rather worn so that will be a job for the weekend!

yep absolutely perfect. They only melt when someone burns your truck too. Think they sell on ebay as airshot pellet. I bought a bag of 5000 6mm pellets which was more than enough to do 4 235x85R16. Recon I have enough left to do another 4 tyres.

got more than the shakes on mine and have read all the posts and checked all bushes dampers bolts ect(all seam ok) but refused to belive the wheel balancing could cause so much of a problem but after an off roading day last weekend it got massivly worse i could not get over 35 mph i can only assume the extra ****e on the wheels contributed to the already worring problem and the tyres are quite worn anyway new insa turbos should be arriving this week which i shall take to the tyre shop and get fitted and ballanced correctly i will then post on here to see if it is the cure if not i think the only souloution is for a full service of the sterring to check castor canber and the toe of the steering georometry need to try to keep this post alive as i know someone has made a very good check list of this problem and all contributions are very helpfull to other members as this seams to be a common problem

Did it make a difference ?

Did it make a difference ?

problem solved 1 of the front wheels was slightly bent they discovered whils trying to balance it so well worth getting the balencing checked if your experancing this :)

• 2 weeks later...